Playing with Debian 12 - some issues???

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by craig baker, Oct 16, 2023.

1. craig baker

craig baker Member HowtoForge Supporter

yes! though ispconfig was updated, there was no entry for 'DKIM-selector'. change it to default, saved it, and migration proceeding!

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

An ISPConfig update will not change existing settings of websites, email domains or DNS.

3. craig baker

just noticed that i'm getting a warning that max_allowed_packet is 16m on the target server (deb12) and the import may fail!
    turns out on deb12 you have that variable in /etc/mysql/mariadb.conf.d/50-server.conf
    might be nice to have the autoinstaller bump that number up so that we dont have to go hunting!

4. craig baker

further poking around I notice the syslog (not messages anymore :() contains lines like:
    2023-11-16T03:02:41.182468-05:00 ns11 named[205026]: network unreachable resolving 'zen.spamhaus.org/NS/IN': 2400:cb00:2049:1::a29f:1823#53
    2400:cb00:2049:1::a29f:191b#53
    2023-11-16T03:02:41.205876-05:00 ns11 named[205026]: network unreachable resolving '127.zen.spamhaus.org/NS/IN': 2001:19f0:6401:1496:da7c:2e:b904:61fa#53
    2023-11-16T03:02:41.237220-05:00 ns11 named[205026]: network unreachable resolving '1.0.0.127.zen.spamhaus.org/A/IN': 2001:4800:1da0:107:e0:86a0:d7:98c4#53
    these seem to be all related to ipv6? from what I can tell verizon fios is not providing me with an ipv6 address.
    so t hese are all ignorable? any way to determine if I actually CAN get a static ipv6 to go with my static ipv4?
    and if not should I not turn OFF ipv6 in deb12? if so how?
    thanks. enjoying debian sofar... some wrinkles.
    cdb.

5. till

Remove zen.spamhaus.org blacklist under Sytem > server config mail.

6. craig baker

one more little thing after migration on ns11.cdbsystems.com - I no longer have a valid LE cert (not for 8080, for 443). on the ns10.cdbsystems.com we had the 000local as I remember that pointed to a website (my almost 40 year old cdbsystems.com - check THAT out for some fine 40 year old website design! LOL) -but it comes up with a good cert. the LE cert associated with ns11.cdbsytems.com refers to another site entirely! not a bit thing but I wanted to checkout roundcube and ns11.cdbsytems.com/roundcube SHOULD pull up the site on the new server - but now it give unreachable site due to wrong SSL.
    also I assume I can just add /rainloop under the roundcube.conf file as folks are using rainloop which seemingly has been abandoned!

7. craig baker

dont I want to just disable ipv6? surely I still want it for ipv4? that site is just fine...

8. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Internet Search Engines with
    Code:
     turn OFF ipv6 in deb12?
    find instructions.

9. till

10. craig baker

yes taleman I had already googled the debian-ipv6 disable seems there are a number of methods. though you might have a preference!
    I'll take out spamhous. used them for many years they used to be good!
    anyone to put in its place? its the only RBL listed under server>config>mail

11. craig baker

just noticed on my new shiny debian 12 server (that I'm transferring to) that I registered a new domain (potomaccharter.com) but LE fails - boxes stay checked!
    we are using certbot (since the migration had --use-certbox)
    in /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log we find:
    Code:
    2023-11-17 17:39:02,033:DEBUG:certbot._internal.main:certbot version: 2.1.0
    2023-11-17 17:39:02,033:DEBUG:certbot._internal.main:Location of certbot entry point: /usr/bin/certbot
    2023-11-17 17:39:02,033:DEBUG:certbot._internal.main:Arguments: ['--domains', 'potomaccharter.com', '--domains', 'www.potomaccharter.com']
    2023-11-17 17:39:02,033:DEBUG:certbot._internal.main:Discovered plugins: PluginsRegistry(PluginEntryPoint#manual,PluginEntryPoint#null,PluginEntryPoint#standalone,PluginEntryPoint#webroot)
    2023-11-17 17:39:02,038:DEBUG:certbot._internal.log:Root logging level set at 30
    2023-11-17 17:39:02,097:WARNING:certbot._internal.cert_manager:Renewal configuration file /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/pinnaclehealthcaredmv.com-0001.conf produced an unexpected error: renewal config file {} is missing a required file reference. Skipping.
    2023-11-17 17:39:02,098:DEBUG:certbot._internal.cert_manager:Traceback was:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/certbot/_internal/cert_manager.py", line 85, in certificates
        renewal_candidate = storage.RenewableCert(renewal_file, config)
                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/certbot/_internal/storage.py", line 485, in __init__
        raise errors.CertStorageError(
    certbot.errors.CertStorageError: renewal config file {} is missing a required file reference

2023-11-17 17:39:02,100:WARNING:certbot._internal.cert_manager:Renewal configuration file /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/pinnaclehealthcaredmv.com.conf produced an unexpected error: renewal config file {} is missing a required file reference. Skipping.
    2023-11-17 17:39:02,100:DEBUG:certbot._internal.cert_manager:Traceback was:
      File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/certbot/_internal/cert_manager.py", line 85, in certificates
        renewal_candidate = storage.RenewableCert(renewal_file, config)
                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/certbot/_internal/storage.py", line 485, in __init__
        raise errors.CertStorageError(
    certbot.errors.CertStorageError: renewal config file {} is missing a required file reference

2023-11-17 17:39:02,176:DEBUG:certbot._internal.display.obj:Notifying user: Found the following matching certs:

The following renewal configurations were invalid:
      /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/pinnaclehealthcaredmv.com-0001.conf

what do you think is going on? need to get this straightened out :)
    did the migration fail in some subtle way?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2023
  12. till

There seems to be an issue in a config file that has likely come from the old server, this prevents certbot from working. It is the file for
    pinnaclehealthcaredmv.com (/etc/letsencrypt/renewal/pinnaclehealthcaredmv.com-0001.conf) that has a syntax error. This syntax problem is an issue in some older certbot versions, so it's basically an issue that happened on old server and now affects the new system as the certs have been migrated over. Either you take a look into the /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/pinnaclehealthcaredmv.com-0001.conf file, compare it with the file from another domain and add the missing line. But the above is most likely just a warning, so my guess is you did not post the whole certbot log until the end as there have likely been more lines about the domainpinnaclehealthcaredmv.com in the log file after the lines you posted.

13. craig baker

well I eliminated all the pinnacle health files (I can just recheck the create SSL I assume).
    From the later run for potomaccharter (which also failed):
    Code:
    2023-11-18 07:27:01,830:DEBUG:certbot._internal.main:certbot version: 2.1.0
    2023-11-18 07:27:01,830:DEBUG:certbot._internal.main:Location of certbot entry point: /usr/bin/certbot
    2023-11-18 07:27:01,830:DEBUG:certbot._internal.main:Arguments: ['-n', '--text', '--agree-tos', '--cert-name', 'potomaccharter.com', '--authenticator', 'webroot', '--server', 'https://acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org/directory', '--rsa-key-size', '4096', '--email', '[email protected]', '--webroot-map', '{"potomaccharter.com":"\\/usr\\/local\\/ispconfig\\/interface\\/acme","www.potomaccharter.com":"\\/usr\\/local\\/ispconfig\\/interface\\/acme"}']
    2023-11-18 07:27:01,830:DEBUG:certbot._internal.main:Discovered plugins: PluginsRegistry(PluginEntryPoint#manual,PluginEntryPoint#null,PluginEntryPoint#standalone,PluginEntryPoint#webroot)
    2023-11-18 07:27:01,836:DEBUG:certbot._internal.log:Root logging level set at 30
    2023-11-18 07:27:01,836:DEBUG:certbot._internal.plugins.selection:Requested authenticator webroot and installer None
    2023-11-18 07:27:01,836:DEBUG:certbot._internal.plugins.selection:Single candidate plugin: * webroot
    Description: Place files in webroot directory
    Interfaces: Authenticator, Plugin
    Entry point: webroot = certbot._internal.plugins.webroot:Authenticator
    Initialized: <certbot._internal.plugins.webroot.Authenticator object at 0x7fd3c73a3390>
    Prep: True
    2023-11-18 07:27:01,837:DEBUG:certbot._internal.plugins.selection:Selected authenticator <certbot._internal.plugins.webroot.Authenticator object at 0x7fd3c73a3390> and installer None
    2023-11-18 07:27:01,837:INFO:certbot._internal.plugins.selection:Plugins selected: Authenticator webroot, Installer None
    2023-11-18 07:27:02,208:DEBUG:certbot._internal.log:Exiting abnormally:
      File "/usr/bin/certbot", line 33, in <module>
        sys.exit(load_entry_point('certbot==2.1.0', 'console_scripts', 'certbot')())
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/certbot/main.py", line 19, in main
        return internal_main.main(cli_args)
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/certbot/_internal/main.py", line 1736, in main
        return config.func(config, plugins)
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/certbot/_internal/main.py", line 1572, in certonly
        le_client = _init_le_client(config, auth, installer)
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/certbot/_internal/main.py", line 827, in _init_le_client
        acc, acme = _determine_account(config)
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/certbot/_internal/main.py", line 725, in _determine_account
        potential_acc = display_ops.choose_account(accounts)
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/certbot/display/ops.py", line 86, in choose_account
        code, index = display_util.menu("Please choose an account", labels, force_interactive=True)
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/certbot/display/util.py", line 80, in menu
        return obj.get_display().menu(message, choices, default=default, cli_flag=cli_flag,
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/certbot/_internal/display/obj.py", line 470, in menu
        raise self._interaction_fail(message, cli_flag, "Choices: " + repr(choices))
    certbot.errors.MissingCommandlineFlag: Missing command line flag or config entry for this setting:
    Please choose an account
    Choices: ['ns9.cdbsystems.com@2018-03-09T14:07:50Z (6476)', 'ns11.cdbsystems.com@2023-11-16T00:55:27Z (9bf0)']
    2023-11-18 07:27:02,239:ERROR:certbot._internal.log:Missing command line flag or config entry for this setting:
    Please choose an account
    Choices: ['ns9.cdbsystems.com@2018-03-09T14:07:50Z (6476)', 'ns11.cdbsystems.com@2023-11-16T00:55:27Z (9bf0)']
    2023-11-18 07:27:02,579:DEBUG:certbot._internal.main:certbot version: 2.1.0
    2023-11-18 07:27:02,579:DEBUG:certbot._internal.main:Location of certbot entry point: /usr/bin/certbot
    2023-11-18 07:27:02,579:DEBUG:certbot._internal.main:Arguments: ['--domains', 'potomaccharter.com', '--domains', 'www.potomaccharter.com']
    2023-11-18 07:27:02,579:DEBUG:certbot._internal.main:Discovered plugins: PluginsRegistry(PluginEntryPoint#manual,PluginEntryPoint#null,PluginEntryPoint#standalone,PluginEntryPoint#webroot)
    2023-11-18 07:27:02,585:DEBUG:certbot._internal.log:Root logging level set at 30
    2023-11-18 07:27:02,723:DEBUG:certbot._internal.display.obj:Notifying user: Found the following matching certs:

so it seems it gets confused and wants CLI input which is not provided?
    now this is on the new server, so any dns resolutions (either here or on the old server) will all point back to old server, so certbot should have access to all sites. potomac ONLY exists on the new server...

14. till

The problem is that you have two certbot accounts at the moment, you'll have to delete one of the accounts (the new one) so that you have just a single account.

15. craig baker

further information - the files /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/pinnaclehealth*.conf (there were 3 of them) - 2 were zero length and those were t he files it complained about initially. I deleted the zero length files and those errors disappeared.
    but it still seems to want an account to be chosen (ns9 or ns11) and how do we do that?
    under /etc/letsencrypt/accounts we have:
    root@ns11:/etc/letsencrypt/accounts# ls -al
    total 16
    drwx------ 4 root root 4096 Nov 9 2021 .
    drwxr-xr-x 9 root root 4096 Nov 18 07:49 ..
    drwx------ 3 root root 4096 Mar 9 2018 acme-v01.api.letsencrypt.org
    drwx------ 3 root root 4096 Nov 9 2021 acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org
    so seems they have both been there on the original server for years! how could certbot work on the OLD server?
    the /accounts folder on the old server has both these entries as well!
    and which do we delete? 2021?
    further info - I moved the v02 folder to /root/saveacme and now the cert seems saved for potomaccharter. but how about all the other certs? how many others mght be affected?
    can I force certbot to recreate ALL certs to ensure they are all correct?

16. till

As I said, you must delete one of the accounts so your system keeps using the same account used on your old server.

These are not the two accounts. These are folders for v1 and v2 API version. Look into each of these folders to see the two accounts.

Th0m likes this.
  17. craig baker

ok I moved the v02 folder back.
    ok in the v02 directory one account points to the v01 directory. I'm assuming thats the older one, so I moved the other account# to my /root/saveacme folder.
    potomaccharter saves ssl just fine, but now pinnaclehealth will NOT save an SSL and puts nothing in the /var/log/letsencrypt log? very odd. no messages AT all. its like it has no idea pinnaclehealth exists?
    but surelly unchecking the boxes, saving and rechecking and saving should recreate the SSL? or at least post something to the logs?
    any way to force certbot to just reissue EVERYTHING to sync up?

18. till

You can not issue or reissue Let's encrypt certs for a domain that does not point to the server yet. ISPConfig tests if the domain points to the right system, and if not, then certbot is not invoked as certbot would do the exact same test and the cert would fail and eventually use up your LE limits. I recommend having a look at the Let's encrypt error FAQ post here in the forum, it lists in detail all prerequisites for LE certs like the one I just mentioned.

19. craig baker

I thought it was just necessary for pinnacle to be REACHABLE (which it is) for the cert to be issued. on the old server I'll repoint pinnacle to ns11 see if that then works... and its not sufficient I assume to just change the A records on NS11 (as NS10 is still the name server).
    thanks!
    so no way to tell certbot through Ispconfig to just recreate EVERYTHING?

20. till

This is not ISPConfig related. Certbot will not issue a domain if it can not reach the domain and all subdomains on the system where the certbot command is run on port 80. So certbot tries to connect to the domain where a cert is requested for and tries to reach a token that the certbot command issued on that server and if this token is not there, e.g. because the domain points to a different server with its a-record, then the cert will not get isssued. Plus, it makes no sense to reissue all certs anyway as you requested as it makes no senses to reissue valid certs and it would just lock you out from let's encrypt very likely, so better not try to do that.

If you are sure that the domain and all its subdomains point correctly to the new server, then follow the Let's encrypt error FAQ step-by-step to find out why: https://forum.howtoforge.com/threads/lets-encrypt-error-faq.74179/ But I'm sure you know that post as any thread with issues about Let's encrypt points to that post as it covers all possible failures that can occur and how to detect them.