Please explain Bind, named, NameServer, DNS

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by domino, Aug 21, 2005.

1. domino

domino New Member

As far as I know, all of them are running as I fallowed the Perfect Fedora 4 installation. I have always relied on an external DNS service to do my work. Now I would like to do it myself for education's sake. Is this the procedure?

1. Go to www.mainwebhostserver.com registrar and make it authorative by adding the NameServer:

ns1.webhostserver.com
    ns2.webhostserver.com

2. Point NS in registrar for www.clienthosting1.com, www.clienthosting2.com, www.clienthosting3.com, and so on to:

ns1.webhostserver.com
    ns2.webhostserver.com

In GoDaddy, I have the option to add Domain Hosts. But it says the fallowing:
    Then there is a blank to enter the ns1 and ns2. What I don't understand is why it requires an IP address. It would not make sense to pair an IP address
    with the Domain Hosts since my IP is dynamic. So does this mean I can not run a DNS Server?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

1) and 2) are correct. As far as i know, you dont have to enter the IP of your nameservers at godaddy, if the domains ns1.webhostserver.com and ns2.webhostserver.com are pointing correctly to your server.

3. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

This is all referring to the same service; just different names. :)

4. domino

domino New Member

@till, ok, I hope nothing goes wrong. I would hate to have to wait days for propagation :).

@falko, LOL. this is too much. I'm thinking and reading that they were seperate services. Good then, I only have to ask about 1 service.

Ok, I'll make webhostserver.com authorative. That should take about 12hrs to propagate on GoDaddy. Are there any preparations I need to do in ISPC? I haven't touched anything in the admin center pertaining to MX, DNS Manager (still empty), Co-Domains. Will it run properly from the default installation?

5. falko

You should add all domains that you make your ISPConfig system authoritative for in the DNS Manager before! :)

6. domino

domino New Member

Depressing :(. When I add a new Domain Host NS1 and NS2 in mainwebhostserver.com I get an no IP error:
    When I add ns1.mainwebhostserver.com and ns2.mainwebhostserver.com to clienthosting1.com, I get another error.
    This is why I always have an extrnal service do this. :(

7. falko

Did you follow the "click here" link?

8. domino

domino New Member

Yes I did. It took me to the place where I can add a Host Servers and register it with an IP. It will not let me continue without binding the ns1 and ns2 with an IP address. In other words, it insists that I need to provide an IP address in order to add the NameServers to the registry.

That may be where my problem is. I am using a dynamic IP and to be able to add a NameServer to the registry, you need a static IP. Thus only an extrenal DNS service such as ZoneEdit can help me. True or False?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2005