pop3 keep updating old mail

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by sanctus, Feb 9, 2007.

1. sanctus

sanctus New Member

Hi,

I have finished my installation of ISPConfig on a Ubuntu 6.10 server. Everything is working fine. Except pop3, or it working too well...

If I configure a pop3 account in mail (OSX mail client - do the same thing under thunderbird) everytime the mail client will request update, it will downloaded the new mail and all the old mail each time it sync.

Same thing occur in normal and ssl mode.

imap is working fine though.

Any hint would be appreciated

Thank you

Francis

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Have you configured your mail clients to delete emails after you fetched them?

3. sanctus

sanctus New Member

no
    but it is not the server that should do this? I have another pop3 account (university) and I never had to configured it that way.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The mailserver deletes mails only when the client requests this.

It might be that your university runs a separate program that deletes the emails to save storage space on their servers.

5. sanctus

sanctus New Member

perfect,
    so I'll stop worring about that.

Thank you

6. Amr_not_Amr

Amr_not_Amr New Member

Hello, sanctus,
    In fact this is a problem ... pop3 client should not get the previously fetched mails again ...
    You can try with gmail for example ... I'm using it with thunderbird ... However I configured both, my gmail account settings and my thunderbird, not to delete mail after retrieval so it doesn't get the previces gotten mail ... only those new ones ... That's the normal behaviour ...

I don't know how to solve it ... but I'm 100% sure that it's a problem ...