Postfix: How to delay emails

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by Sansone, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Sansone

Sansone New Member

Ubuntu (last version) + Postfix

Hi, my postfix delivers emails to my ISP through relayhost.
    I would like to configure it to dispatch emails with a fix delay of 10 minutes.
    Which parameters should I change ?

Thanks.
    Sansone

2. Sansone

Sansone New Member

Any help ?

3. mentes

mentes Member

4. Sansone

Sansone New Member

Thanks for your reply, it could help but it doesn't look like a the perfect solution. The problem is exactly that one but I cannot imagine there's no a quicker and simpler solution proven to work in a small company network.
    I hope someone could suggest an easierand lighter way.

Bye
    Sansone

5. Sansone

Sansone New Member

Really no easier solutions ?
    Why there's not a simple option in master.cf ?

Sans1

6. Mark_NL

Mark_NL Member

7. Sansone

Sansone New Member

Hi,
    I've just tried setting it at 10m but it doesn't work. Could you be more specific please ?

I guess this parameter works only in case you have more emails addressed to the same recipient... not my case.

It's like Postfix is only able to send IMMEDIATELY all emails. The only settable delays are related to errore responses or minor cases.

I can't believe nobody using postfix need to programmatically defer the email...

Bye
    Sans1

8. Mark_NL

Mark_NL Member

Normally you want your MTA to send mail as fast as possible .. anyway .. i think mentes' solution is the nearest possible ..

9. Sansone

Sansone New Member

Thanks for your reply Mark_NL. I agree with you but I'm quite sure that having the possibility to cancel an email wrongly sent a few minutes earlier would be a really appreciated feature.
    Bye
    Sans1

10. Mark_NL

Mark_NL Member

Ok, that's funny :)

Why would that be a cool feature? How many times do you send mail to a wrong recipient? Why handle that on server level?

If i quickly want to send someone a mail, i always need to wait 10 mins..

:p

11. Sansone

Sansone New Member

Last week I wrongly sent a reply to a customer instead of a forward to my collegue (I would have preferred if my customer couldn't read my "remarks" ...)
    With a 10 minutes delay in sending I could have stopped that email in time.
    Sometime even just once could be more than enough to justify a feature like this.

My previous windows smtp server gave me that USEFUL feature plus the possibility to immediately deliver message signed as "urgent priority". I think it was a much flexible system.
    I finally think this should be a server side issue and not client side otherwise I should stay connected at least ten minutes before switching off my client after I've sent last email...

Bye

12. mentes

mentes Member

You can config that in your mail client.

PS: I reply before read last comments :eek:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  13. mentes

mentes Member

Config send at close.

14. fbird

fbird New Member

Hello,
    Just searched this subject and this seems the best hit for a solution. "menses" can you share with the config sent above?

Thanks,
    fbird

15. mentes

mentes Member

It's an old thread but I think that "Config send at close" means that "Configure your mail client (thunderbird/outlook/...) to send e-mails when close it"

16. fbird

fbird New Member

Thanks for you quick reply.
    My bad, I misunderstood your answer for sure, so no sample postfix config, so I'll need to create one with some additional resource.
    TBH, I don't understand what you are trying to say in the long version :) MUA-s configured already, the function/capability has not there yet in the MTA side. So sending an e-mail when close it? Help me out, pls. Thanks!

17. mentes

mentes Member

18. fbird

fbird New Member

Ohh okay, I must missed that link. That's an evenly good way to solve the problem :)
    Thank you!