Postfix, ISPConfig 3, Problem receiving emails

Discussion in 'General' started by BorderAmigos, Apr 26, 2009.

1. BorderAmigos

BorderAmigos New Member

I have ISPConfig 3 set up with several domain names. I am on a dynamic IP which is blacklisted by SpamHaus so I followed another HowTo here to relay thru an email server account I have elsewhere. Now I can send emails from my local accounts without getting rejected.

But I can not receive emails.

If sent to a yahoo account, yahoo receives ok. Trying to reply gives...

Code:
    Hi. This is the qmail-send program at yahoo.com.
    I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
    This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<[email protected]>:
    Sorry, I couldn't find a mail exchanger or IP address. (#5.4.4)

--- Below this line is a copy of the message.

Return-Path: <[email protected]>
    Received: (qmail 59772 invoked by uid 60001); 26 Apr 2009 19:42:57 -0000
    DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.com; s=s1024; t=1240774977; bh=9ObKdF1j79JB4kOcN05qoE35zC6+8+lApgR3WB1VdAo=; h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Reply-To:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=Zy+qwJR3GMGq4uuK4dHJoNlhpOZCgTyjMkmVHKAKnfkvNcJn6eoywhc9Xl5RhQEpaVsUGIncZsbm8OJJH54LaRDL9v/G0R6tZ/IN1cKw/gIDsKofoesJwfMn+H7UfDbka+bXLSbyfDVGSik/hvu7GpSceAl4A0gzZUziWnNQeqU=
    DomainKey-Signature:a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws;
      s=s1024; d=yahoo.com;
      h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Reply-To:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type;
      b=bHQf1xYO2wb6EcRoSfeMM6DV3kKWFIOdjh85iS6SGniqXZRaMqYr1Jp1vqHt3Vs/lfehMjj8WIXWiKUYIJ0W62rzHi7w7qoFVlaMmDq1hamW2xGqcJQMbkCEZ3KYFsNXu8Cj0J3jDktYgOE+erzt7al3Ay2UO7NMfWe4ScJEnNs=;
    Message-ID: <[email protected]>
    X-YMail-OSG: Wl0NdAgVM1kGSvgMUpkCheHVy9bkob8XtsCCm2uJOAGbWOIXrz_WkWaiHCcjSB7ql89NuiH6yQcZu754Jm42y4cPHb3ksYPrYbSff3CgTg5Wo84SHwTDmPlFomiPskS42pSVbGHHTFAyl3EFwri.jTGCOUgrHxW4vlErQWdHHEuKLgSGyJZN.91XHHicTmIH1JBlqYp96KkyzwDYsjOdyDkkKvq4rdaO2BbUQvjP.SuAJ20kvX9goorr.P2sITi7QYHt4tSJozyg2IXaClxggL4uIKkn_Lsphi.4lE4BMsh9jH1Wnv5DNyw-
    Received: from [24.25.213.194] by web50209.mail.re2.yahoo.com via HTTP; Sun, 26 Apr 2009 12:42:57 PDT
    X-Mailer: YahooMailWebService/0.7.289.1
    Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 12:42:57 -0700 (PDT)
    Reply-To: [email protected]
    Subject: Re: yahoo test
    To: [email protected]
    In-Reply-To: <[email protected]>
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

If I send a message to an email address on the server I'm relaying thru 2 copies arrive. When I reply I get a copy of the response and 2 copies of the following failure message...
    Code:
    This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
    recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

admin@nonexistent_example.com
        (ultimately generated from [email protected])
        Unrouteable address

------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers. ------

Return-path: <john@other_example.com>
    Received: from cpe-24-25-213-194.san.res.rr.com ([24.25.213.194]:51995 helo=[10.0.0.100])
            by dallas4.tx.ipxf.net with esmtpa (Exim 4.69)
            (envelope-from <john@other_example.com>)
            id 1LyAJl-0002lu-TD
            for [email protected]; Sun, 26 Apr 2009 14:47:14 -0500
    Subject: Re: other_example.com test
    Reply-To: john@other_example.com
    To: [email protected]
    In-Reply-To: <[email protected]>
    References: <[email protected]>
    Content-Type: text/plain
    Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 12:47:11 -0700
    Message-Id: <[email protected]>
    Mime-Version: 1.0
    X-Mailer: Evolution 2.22.3.1 
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

On Sun, 2009-04-26 at 12:46 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
    > other_example.com test

That I'm getting 2 copies and an email address in the message that shouldn't exist (admin@nonexistent_example.com) makes me thing there is a forwarder set up at my offsite ISP. I do not have one set up and they haven't responded.

I seem to have my local DNS and MX records set up. I changed /etc/postfix/main.cf line MYDESTINATIONS to point to a file called local-host-names, then added all my domains to that file (including mail.domain.com).

So does this appear to be a local problem or a problem at my relay ISP? Does the relaying only affect sending mail (which seems to work ok) or can it mess with my receiving mail as well?

... I changed the email addresses and domains in the examples to avoid spam bots, the actual local mailserver domain is host.servidora.net, and a domain I'm trying to receive at is sys666.net. Thanks for any pointers, you guys are great.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

please post the errors from the mail log of the server.

3. BorderAmigos

BorderAmigos New Member

There were no errors in the mail logs. The mail.err file was and is 0 bytes. The mail.log file just contains the following that repeats every 5 minutes...

Code:
    Apr 27 06:25:01 host imapd: Connection, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
    Apr 27 06:25:01 host imapd: Disconnected, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], time=0
    Apr 27 06:25:01 host pop3d: Connection, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
    Apr 27 06:25:01 host pop3d: Disconnected, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
    Apr 27 06:25:01 host postfix/smtpd[394]: connect from localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1]
    Apr 27 06:25:01 host postfix/smtpd[394]: lost connection after CONNECT from localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1]
    Apr 27 06:25:01 host postfix/smtpd[394]: disconnect from localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1]

My ISP I relay thru deleted an old VALIAS file last night and the original error went away. So he apparently still had something intercepting even though the domain should have been completely deleted there.

Now my emails get rejected as 'unknown user'. I can still send them but can't receive them, still no errors in the logs.

4. dipeshmehta

dipeshmehta Member

If you are on dynamic ip, how any one can reach to your server?

5. BorderAmigos

BorderAmigos New Member

One of my domains is automatically updated if the IP changes with a dyndns account and a setting in my router. This gives access from anywhere to update the others when there is a change. The address has historically only changed once or twice a year so it's not a big issue.

6. BorderAmigos

BorderAmigos New Member

Hmmm, this made me go check my dns at DynDNS.com... I added a CNAME pointing to my local mail server. Now I can receive emails from outside servers EXCEPT for the server I am trying to relay thru. Sending the exact same message to the same email address from 3 different locations, here at the day job, webmail on yahoo, and the offsite server... the day job and yahoo arrive ok, the offsite server bounces with a 'no such user' error. Also, now trying to send any emails thru the relayer are bounce with a verification error from that server. So I'm thinking the error is there. I don't have shell access there so have to wait for their response.

7. BorderAmigos

BorderAmigos New Member

As suspected this was a bug in cPanel/WHM at the relaying server. They cleaned it up there and now mail is happily working in both directions.