Postfix keeps shutting down..?

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by phil_hodges, Feb 20, 2006.

1. phil_hodges

phil_hodges New Member

Hello there, I have a problem with 'postfix'...

When I perform a /etc/init.d/postfix restart it 'fails' on the shutdown and starts up 'ok'... If I perform a restart quickly again it stops 'OK' and starts 'OK'... If however I leave it for a minute, the shutdown 'fails'.

Now the crazy thing is that I have two systems configured almost identically. They are both DELL GX620’s running FC4 and are both fully up to date. One is configured as a webserver and postfix works fine. The other is configured as an ‘Asterisk PBX’ box and I am having trouble.

I wish I knew what I am doing wrong…?

Phil

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Can you find any errors in the mail log (in /var/log)?

3. phil_hodges

phil_hodges New Member

fatal: bind 127.0.0.1 port 25: Address already in use

Hmmm...

Feb 20 15:59:18 asterisk2 postfix/postfix-script: stopping the Postfix mail system
    Feb 20 15:59:19 asterisk2 postfix/postfix-script: starting the Postfix mail system
    Feb 20 15:59:19 asterisk2 postfix/master[28371]: fatal: bind 127.0.0.1 port 25: Address already in use

Any ideas...

Phil

4. falko

It seems that if you stop Postfix it doesn't release 127.0.0.1 fast enough before Postfix is started again.

Can you post the restart section of /etc/init.d/postfix?

5. daspez

daspez New Member

Check to see if postfix is still listening...
    Code:
    netstat -an | grep 25
    if you still see a port open then kill the process
    Code:
    ps -ef|grep postfix
    then restart postfix
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/postfix start

6. benjami

benjami New Member

Restart every day

I see one daily stop and start, at 23:59:01

Code:
    (/var/log/syslog)

Mar  2 23:59:01 localhost postfix/postfix-script: stopping the Postfix mail system
    Mar  2 23:59:01 localhost postfix/master[4382]: terminating on signal 15
    Mar  2 23:59:01 localhost postfix/postfix-script: starting the Postfix mail system
    Mar  2 23:59:01 localhost postfix/master[17122]: daemon started -- version 2.2.4, configuration /etc/postfix
    I think that is some ISPConfig cron script:

Code:
    $ sudo crontab -l -u root |grep 59
    59 23 * * * /root/ispconfig/php/php /root/ispconfig/scripts/shell/ftp_logs.php &> /dev/null
    59 23 * * * /root/ispconfig/php/php /root/ispconfig/scripts/shell/mail_logs.php &> /dev/null
    59 23 * * * /root/ispconfig/php/php /root/ispconfig/scripts/shell/cleanup.php &> /dev/null

Maybe mail_logs.php? :)

7. falko

Yes, that's right. ISPConfig rotates the mail log at that time to generate the mail traffic statistics, and therefore Postfix has to be restarted.

8. AlArenal

AlArenal New Member

Is that a necessity?
    I have some problems with ISPC / syslog / logrotate interfering each other with the mail logs, especially since trying to get pflogsumm (following your own tutorial) to mail me meaningful statistics, but all I get is the 'rubbish' out of what's been logged between the runs of mail_logs.php and the run of the syslog cron job / logrotate.

See more detailed description http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?p=77524#post77524

It's like shooting yourself in the foot...

9. falko

Yes, because otherwise ISPConfig can't generate proper daily mail traffic statistics.