Postfix mailbox encryption

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Cinabro, Jan 23, 2023.

1. Cinabro

Cinabro New Member

Hello everyone
    I have an ispconfig 3 that work fine, all in/out email are encrypted, all user jailkit and so on.
    I wonder if there's a secure way to encrypt the vmail folder. I mean: who run the ispcfongi can't have access to the mail of the user for privacy pourpose and only the user with its own password can access.
    I readed a lot of things about gpg but even following that every time got errors and broken things.
    Any suggestion?
    I need to setup this for critical security enviroment.

2. pyte

pyte Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I have no expirience with this but you are most likly looking for this: https://doc.dovecot.org/configuration_manual/mail_crypt_plugin/
    But you have to consider, if it is that critial to you, you should worry how mails are encrypted while transporting, above all other things, this is a quiet more challenging question tho.

Cinabro likes this.
  3. Cinabro

Cinabro New Member

Hi and thanks for your reply,
    transport of email is encrypted, even removed some header that give many hints to a possible attacker.
    I will give a look to mail crypt plugin thnks

4. Cinabro

Cinabro New Member

Seem that after enable mail_crypt in dovecot (following the dovecot manual) got an error when reciving email, need to investigate

5. pyte

pyte Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Please report back with your expiriences. I'd like to get some insights into the mail_crypt plugin.