Postfix not respecting recipient_delimiter =

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by tribis, Jun 2, 2022.

1. tribis

tribis New Member

Hi,
    My problem is that I can't get rid of Postfix rewriting on mailaddresses with a + char: i.e. recipient_delimiter = +.

I have a very simple mail configuration done with ISPConfig.
    We have two domains, one of them has a catchall mailaddress, no alias, no forward, no routing.
    I have found out that Postfix is making extension rewriting, meaning that a mail sent to nouser+test @ domain.tld causes a log message like "User doesn't exist: nouser @ domain. tld:
    Code:
    un  2 09:40:55 xxx postfix/lmtp[168323]: 1D9CA2E047B: to=< nouser+test @ domain.tld >, relay=xxx. mailaserver. tld[private/dovecot-lmtp], delay=0.02, delays=0.01/0/0/0.01, dsn=5.1.1, status=bounced (host xxx. mailaserver. tld[private/dovecot-lmtp] said: 550 5.1.1 < nouser+test @ domain.tld > User doesn't exist: nouser @ domain.tld (in reply to RCPT TO command))
    Jun  2 09:40:55 xxx dovecot: lmtp(168324): Disconnect from local: Client has quit the connection (state=READY)

The e-mail is sent on purpose to the domain with no catchall, in order to elicit the log message displaying which user Postfix is targeting (the "User doesn't exist: nouser @ domain. tld" in the message above).
    The log above shows that Postfix is making adress rewriting with a recipient_delimiter = +.
    I would like to prevent Postfix from doing this rewrite.

To do this I have removed (actually changed) the recipient delimiter in main.cf with
    Code:
    recipient_delimiter = -
    propagate_unmatched_extensions =
    and other combinations but to no avail.
    Can you see what is enforcing this address rewrite that I can't get rid of?
    (P.S. I had to mangle text inside the logs due to this forum seeing them as links and preventing me to post)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
  2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

After changing the recipient delimiter, reconfigure services with the ispconfig installer.

3. tribis

tribis New Member

OK, thank you very much! I'll try this. Right now I'm puzzled by how to "reconfigure" with the installer, but I guess it will reveal itself when running the installer on an already installed system. Can you possibly point to some document touching upon this (reconfiguring by means of the installer )?

4. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

run "ispconfig_update.sh --force" and answer yes to that question.

Th0m likes this.