Postfix problem when receiving e-mail from certain hosts

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by rst, Sep 4, 2014.

1. rst

rst New Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi,

I have a really strange problem. I am working with ISPConfig in combination with the perfect server setup for latest stable Debian distro with postfix and nginx.

Some weeks ago I created an e-mail address for [email protected] using ISPConfig. I am able to send an e-mail to this address both locally from my server as well as from gmail without problems.

However when sending an e-mail from either live.nl (which basically is Outlook.com) or KPN.nl (biggest e-mail provider in the Netherlands), my mail does not get delivered. Instead after some time I receive an 'delivery of your e-mail has been delayed message'. If I look in the postfix log, I don't even see either one of these servers connecting to deliver a message to [email protected].

As long as this is not working, I can not use my new server as a mail server, so you can imagine how high priority this is for me :-( I already did a lot of Googling, but nothing to be found untill now. Hope you can help me out!

Kind regards,
    Robin

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This can be a dns problem. Check your dns setup e.g. at intodns.com

3. rst

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The dns looks fine. And yu are really sure that there is nothing in the mail.log from these providers?

5. rst

Solved!

Hi Till,

Thank you so much for looking into this!

It seems as if both live.nl and planet.nl had a very long delay in delivering the mails, as if they first needed to 'get to know' this domain or something comparable (maybe they cache DNS very long).

Most (not all!) mails were delivered succesfully after a very long waiting period. Now when I retry and send new mail from both addresses, they reach my new server within a minute, so all is good now!

Thanks again for helping out!

Kind regards,
    Robin