Postfix Relay

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by dipeshmehta, Nov 11, 2008.

1. dipeshmehta

dipeshmehta Member

Hello,

I have Ubuntu 8.04 Server with Bind9, Postfix, Procmail, Courier-IMAP/POP, and ISPConfig.

I have setup my postfix for SMTP Relay as guided into http://www.howtoforge.com/postfix_relaying_through_another_mailserver

I want to know that if I have more than one authenticated account at my ISP, how do I configure my postfix as well as how to select specific account while sending mails.

Thanks in advance.

Dipesh

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You just need one login. It doesn't matter which one, the only thing that is important is that it works.

3. dipeshmehta

dipeshmehta Member

Thanks Falco for sparing time out of your busy schedules.

I want to do something more, and I have already posted at ubuntu forums, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=978288

can you please spare some more time? it would be great help for me setting up my server.

Dipesh

4. falko

5. dipeshmehta

dipeshmehta Member

Thanks Falco, for such a wonderful howtos.

I have studied your howtos, there is one little query in my mind. As I understand, since I have been using ISPConfig, mailusers are mainted/managed virtually by ISPConfig, i.e. users are not linux users. Please guide me how to override the issue, do I need to remove ISPConfig? (I actually do not need to host more then one domain on my server) if so, please guide me on how to remove ISPConfig. (I am novice in linux environment)

thanks again,

Dipesh

6. falko

ISPConfig 2 is using system users for the email accounts, so this is no problem. :)

7. dipeshmehta

dipeshmehta Member

Thanks a lot, Falco.

I have setup my ubuntu server according to approx all my needs, and is running fine. All your howtos made me a great help.

My ubuntu mail server, serves mail in local network, as well as it fetches mail from ISP POP Account and relay through ISP's smtp servers. Now, if I set Return-Path in my mail client (i.e. Outlook Express) as [email protected] - mails sent to users in local network can not "reply" to this mail (technically *can not* means if they reply it would be routed through ISP's mailserver not my local server), and vice versa. Is there, any trick to overcome this issue?

In other words; I need "From:" address and "Replyto:" address to be written as [email protected] for mails send to local users and "From:" address and "Replyto:" address to be written as [email protected] for mails send to other recipients.

Moreover, I want to log all mail activity over my ubuntu server i.e. all mails sent and received (whether internal or global), a bcc to be sent to [email protected]. For this I added always_bcc in my main.cf file, but it sends hundreds of messages to loguser with subject Mailsize: web2_loguser.
    Dipesh

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  8. falko

I'm not sure how to do this. But would it be so bad if the mails went to your ISP's server first? They'd be fetched by fetchmail again in the end...

9. dipeshmehta

dipeshmehta Member

Hi Falco,

I found an solution for my need. This can be done configuring postfix for genric mapping. http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_REWRITING_README.html#generic

I have done and it works well for me.

Thanks for your continued support setting up my server.

Dipesh

10. dipeshmehta

dipeshmehta Member

Hello,

I have setup postfix to relay outgoing mails through my ISP's mailserver. Now, I want one of my user do not relay but to send directly the outgoing mails. How do I configure postfix for the same?

Dipesh

11. PrawnStar

PrawnStar New Member

It might be better to get them to set this in *their* email client, for example, thunderbird allows you to set up multiple SMTP server and you can readily change which one is being used at a given time if required.