Postfix unusual Mail relay

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by SONiQz, Sep 19, 2014.

1. SONiQz

SONiQz New Member

Hi,

I have a mail server that appears to be struggling to send mail sporadically to hotmail.com addresses.

Our domain name is hosted by GoDaddy, however the server is configured to direct send, so doesn't use a relay-host. The issue is that I am getting:

to=<[email protected]>, relay=smtp.secureserver.net[68.178.213.203]:25, delay=5.4, delays=0.03/0/1.6/3.8, dsn=5.1.1, status=bounced (host smtp.secureserver.net[68.178.213.203] said: 550 5.1.1 <[email protected]> Recipient not found. <http://x.co/irbounce> (in reply to RCPT TO command))

I have checked that the server can resolve hotmail.com and that it is able to resolve the mx record for the hotmail domain and there is no issue. Also it isn't every message to hotmail, however it's only hotmail addresses affected.

Looking at the secureserver.net domain it's owned by GoDaddy, but I can't see there would be any way that the message should be directed via their servers.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance!

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Did you follow the link in the error message and read what status coe 550 means?

There are several options, you should go to all options. Especially check the spf record of the sender domain too if it allows sending from this mailserver.

3. SONiQz

SONiQz New Member

The error message comes back with:
    550 Recipient not found.

Which according to the link is caused by:
    The recipient is not a valid email address.

The issue here is that the responding server is not the destination server. It appears as though it is being intercepted by smtp.secureserver.net and not being passed to hotmail.com

Bearing in mind that not all emails to hotmail addresses are doing this, I'm still getting a lot of failed messages and given the method that these messages are generated (customer supplied emails for sales confirmations) I'd expect to see more of the same from other domains or rejections for 'Recipient not found' to be coming from a server listed in hotmail's mx record.

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  4. SONiQz

SONiQz New Member

In addition to my previous post, I have checked and validated the SPF TXT record configured. It appears to be fine and when tested returns clean results.

Thanks in advance!

5. SONiQz

SONiQz New Member

RIGHT! Well I think I have found part of the problem. Last time it occurred I ran 'dig mx hotmail.com' and got the result below. We do usep dns06.domaincontrol.com. and pdns05.domaincontrol.com. as NS Records for the domain. But I don't know what we can do about it :mad: Any help would be appreciated

Code:
    ; <<>> DiG 9.8.1-P1 <<>> mx hotmail.com
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 63460
    ;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;hotmail.com.                   IN      MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    hotmail.com.            3600    IN      MX      0 smtp.secureserver.net.
    hotmail.com.            3600    IN      MX      10 mailstore1.secureserver.net.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    hotmail.com.            3600    IN      NS pdns06.domaincontrol.com.
    hotmail.com.            3600    IN      NS pdns05.domaincontrol.com.

;; Query time: 15 msec
    ;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
    ;; WHEN: Wed Sep 24 15:07:37 2014
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 149