Postfix username modifications

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by davidred, Apr 12, 2006.

1. davidred

davidred New Member

Firstly, let me say this is one awesome package. I have never met anything that can match the quality and detail that ISPConfig can offer. A big thanks to all the developers for putting the time and effort in to make this package.

Secondly, here comes the request for info! I am migrating from my old mail server to an ISPConfig based system. All the old usernames for POP3/IMAP access were the email addres, ie: [email protected]. So after hunting around within ISPConfig the email verification regexp was modified and the prefix for usernames was removed. This made the creation of these usernames possible.

However, when ISPConfig writes the data out to the virtusertable it creates entries as such;

[email protected] [email protected]

Here comes a small looping problem :). A first attempt to fix it was to change virtusertable to be;

[email protected] /var/mail/[email protected]

But unfortunately mail bounces and the following comes from the maillog;

Apr 12 00:39:34 sp0244b postfix/local[17402]: D2B8022F770: to=<[email protected]>, relay=local, delay=8, status=bounced (unknown user: "username")

Would anyone have any ideas?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2006
  2. davidred

davidred New Member

Edit: ramblings that made no sense after re-reading..

3. davidred

davidred New Member

Edit: ramblings that made no sense after re-reading..

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can not use usernames with an @ inside in the current ISPConfig versions. The reason is that ISPConfig uses linux system users for email accounts and the @ sign is not allowed in linux usernames.