Postmaster and Abuse Global addresses

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by bluethunder82, Sep 26, 2006.

1. bluethunder82

bluethunder82 Member

Hi All,
    I've been reading on the form trying to figure out how to achieve a similar result using ISPConfig from my current setup.

1) Right now I have postmaster, abuse and Webmaster all being sent directly to one of my email accounts. The various sites I host have no interest nor would they understand what to do if they received email problems via these addresses.

[email protected], [email protected], etc all go to my main [email protected]

From what I understand I will need to be using /etc/aliases (there is currently a topic about this file). I have tried making an entry in there for Webmaster to my ISPConfig user but I still get an unknown user error. Am I looking in the right direction? I have also tried adding the matching pair in /etc/postfix/virtusertable with no luck (this actually gives a log error saying the virtusertable does not match virtusertable.db).

2) On my current email server setup I have well over 2000 email users working but since it is an older program SPAM is starting to be an issue. I am using various RBL's and my own blacklist to try and keep the spam/junk mail at bay but the amount is just starting to get to be too much. Doing some reading on this forum I have not found much information on SpamAssassin. Basically I understand I just check it off but I am trying to find more information on how this will actually work and basically understand what it is doing. I have looked at their website but that did not clear it up. Would I also be wise to add my RBL's back into Postfix or should SpamAssassin work well enough? This server is basically only email with very light HTML pages. I have another server that does the heavy lifting for my database driven sites. Any resources on SpamAssassin would be greatly appreciated.

My focus is to reduce the amount of spam I am getting, it is annoying PLUS it uses a fair bit of bandwidth every month.

For those interested I am finally migrating my email server from Stalker's SIMS for the Mac OS. It has served me well since 1997.

Much thanks to any information anyone can provide.

Once this is done then I can start the migration process.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

1) Postfix is readinfg the aliases and the virtusertable from a hash file that has to be created when you modify one of the files manually. Have you run the command "newaliases" after you modified the aliases file?

2) Spamassassin is a rule based and bayes filter. I recommend to add your RBL to the postfix config and let Spamassassin scan the mails that comes trough. With this combination you will catch almost all spam emails.

3. bluethunder82

bluethunder82 Member

Thanks for the response Till. I finally had a chance to test your suggestion.

Re 1). Using the command newaliases seems to have allowed me to route webmaster to my actual account. I'm not sure why that did not work when I first tried using that command.

Is there a way of updating the virtusertable.db I am still getting the error message "warning: database /etc/postfix/virtusertable.db is older than source file /etc/postfix/virtusertable
    "

Re 2). When using the RBL's with postfix is there a setting that will allow me to exclude postmaster and abuse from being affected?

To prevent spamassassin I just didn't enable it in the email account.

What monitoring methods are there of spamassassin? Currently I can view my logs to see how my different filters are working. I guess my concern is I don't want spamassassin to be running if I cannot verify it's integrity while testing.

Thanks again for a nice GUI to these services.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Run
    Code:
    postmap /etc/postfix/virtusertable
    In the current setup yo cannot monitor SpamAssassin because it is called by procmail and therefore doesn't log anything. You could change your setup to use amavisd-new which then calls SpamAssassin. amavisd-new logs to the mail log, and then this tutorial might be interesting for you: http://www.howtoforge.com/mail_statistics_mailgraph_pflogsumm

5. bluethunder82

bluethunder82 Member

Thanks Falko,
    Running postmap got rid of the log errors.

I'll look into the howto you sent me.