Primary boot and LVM

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by lau, May 23, 2014.

1. lau

lau New Member

Still trying to find my way around Linux, but I was wondering if someone can help me out.

When I first installed Ubuntu I didn't know if it was a mistake to choose the install with LVM. So this is what I have:

PrimarywithLVM.png

/dev/sda1 is a primary partition for /boot
    /dev/sda2 is an extended partition with LVM2 inside containing the rest /

I was wondering what my options would be if I wanted to expand the size of /dev/sda1 on which /boot resides? Yes, I know you can dump the old boot kernel associated files but just humor me. What could I do to expand the boot partition?

I tried using GParted Live and the only thing I could do was once I increased the size of sda (its a VM) which allows me to expand the extended so that does me no good.

So within the context of a VM, what are the possibilities? If adding another larger virtual HD and cloning partition by partition, please feel free to put that down. Yes, I tried this. I was able to clone the LVM to another primary partition with dd. I used the copy and paste in GParted to copy the /sda1 aka /boot to /sdb1 but getting it to boot is another matter. I think I have to reinstall grub2.

Also, is it common practice just to dump everything into a primary partition and forgo the LVM for just everyday desktop installs in order to keep things simple?

Is there any need to give some mount points their own partition? I remember way back when the best practice was to do so, but I found it quite hard estimating how much space was needed to account for later growth, so I was wondering if that is still down now a days.

Thanks