Problem with DNS on Ubuntu-Hardy 8.04

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by PatrickDickey, Jul 3, 2008.

1. PatrickDickey

PatrickDickey New Member

Also, my named.conf file looks like this
    Shouldn't it look like this?
    since it's chrooted to the /var/lib/named directory? I'm basing that on a Bind9 user manual, where it says under Chroot

(from http://www.bind9.net/manual/bind/9.3.2/Bv9ARM.ch07.html#id2567222)

Have a great day:)
    Patrick.

2. PatrickDickey

PatrickDickey New Member

Also doing an ls in the /var/run directory shows nothing by the name of named.pid. It also doesn't show up in the /var/lib/named directory. There is, however, a /var/run/bind directory-- which is empty.

So, in short, I don't have a named.pid file, at least not that I can find. Could that be part of the problem?

Have a great day:) And sorry for all of the posts. I'm just digging around, and when I find (or can't find) something, I post the information here.

Patrick.

3. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

To be honest, I'm running out of ideas... :(

4. PatrickDickey

PatrickDickey New Member

I may just scrap the entire thing, and start fresh. I'll try it with just "local.lan" for my name and go from there. And, I'll make sure I have the right names (maybe simpler names) on all of my computers.

Another question that you may be able to help me with though is this. I've got a laptop, which isn't going to have a static IP on it. Will BIND be able to cache it's IP address, so that I can just use it's name as well, or will I have to either a) make it a static IP or b) always search for it via IP address? Obviously the first time I try to access it, I'll have to use IP address or something.

Patrick.

5. martien

martien New Member

quote one of author's posts
    Just try this:
    Code:
    chroot bind:bind /etc/bind/named.conf

6. PatrickDickey

PatrickDickey New Member

Interesting. chroot bind:bind /etc/bind/named.conf gives me

chroot: cannot change root directory to bind:bind: No such file or directory

That's strange in itself. But, it obviously answers why I'm getting the errors, just not why it's saying that...

Patrick.

7. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I think he meant
    Code:
    [B][COLOR="Red"]chown[/COLOR][/B] bind:bind /etc/bind/named.conf

8. PatrickDickey

PatrickDickey New Member

I tried this in PuTTy, and it gave me a new prompt. So, I'm assuming that it was successful. However, trying /etc/init.d/bind9 start fails again. The curious thing is, if I go into '/var/log/syslog' I don't have anything about bind in there... Only a cron job that seems to keep running every hour. Right now, I'm performing an apt-get upgrade, so I can see if that's what's causing the cron jobs.

Then, I'll restart the computer, relog in as root and see what is going on.

Patrick.

9. martien

martien New Member

Opps.. my mistake. however this fixed the problem with loading configuration, don't it?