Problem with Individual Error Pages

Discussion in 'General' started by hastlaug, Apr 14, 2006.

1. hastlaug

hastlaug New Member

I've had a look into my Vhosts_ispconfig.conf - and saw that the individual error pages were activated, although I didn't enable it in ISPConfig. Playing with the option didn't change anything (but, yes, the file was rewritten). Installed release is 2.2.0.

Code:
    Alias /error/ "/var/www/web1/web/error/"
    ErrorDocument 400 /error/invalidSyntax.html
    ErrorDocument 401 /error/authorizationRequired.html
    ErrorDocument 403 /error/forbidden.html
    ErrorDocument 404 /error/fileNotFound.html
    ErrorDocument 405 /error/methodNotAllowed.html
    ErrorDocument 500 /error/internalServerError.html
    ErrorDocument 503 /error/overloaded.html

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I think this is the standard error page configuration in ISPConfig. The files you listed in your post are the default error pages, not the individual ones.

If you enter individual error pages, the default files where replaced by your custom files, this changes nothing in Vhosts_ispconfig.conf.

3. hastlaug

hastlaug New Member

I thought the setting "Individual Error Pages" allows the customer to use his own error pages - but if the setting in the vhosts is always the same (and the error pages are obviously in the customer's web path) then the customer is always able to use his own error pages... Where is the difference when I enable/disable the setting?

Replaced by which pages? Server global "custom" error pages? This would mean that there are exactly 2 kinds of different error pages - where is the use of that? What happens if I check/uncheck this option on a running site? Will the error pages be replaced?

I expected that, when enabling this option, the customer has the possibility to define his individual error pages - and when it's disabled, he just hasn't. But, obviously, he currently always has ;)
    At least me doesn't want every customer to have his own error pages.
    As far as I remember this is also the interpratation of "individual error pages" used in most server configuration software suites.

I'd suggest sth. like the following:

Individual Error Pages on:
    Code:
    Alias /error/ "/var/www/web1/web/error/"
    Individual Error Pages off:
    Code:
    Alias /error/ "/home/admispconfig/error/"
    This way you could achieve this behaviour pretty easy. What do you think about that?

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

If you use individual error pages, then the files error/error_400.html, error/error_401.html etc. will be created with your custom error pages, otherwise the standard error pages error/fileNotFound.html, etc. will be used.

5. hastlaug

hastlaug New Member

But a customer can replace these files in both cases with his own ones... am I right?

6. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Yes, in the rare case you find a customer who knows what he's doing... ;)

7. hastlaug

hastlaug New Member

Hm, but don't you think it would make sense to simply link the default error pages outside the user's web path? This way you can prohibit users changing the pages and for the rest you should have the same behaviour as before. And I think it's not a big deal to change this. ;)

8. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Sure, if you think its an issue that must be fixed, we can add it to the bugtracker :)

9. hairydog2

hairydog2 New Member

I don't know why it isn't done this way, and maybe there is a good reason, but I would have thought it would be a good idea to have a standard set of error pages for everyone in a special directory, and a symlink pointing at it: that way you can update them all at the seame time if necessary.

The same is true for the default cgi scripts - I'd rather have a link to the standard ones than a copy of the standard ones.

Maybe there is a reason why symlinks won't do.

10. lodac

lodac New Member

sounds like a great idea.