Problems transferring files found to memory stick etc.

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by deskelly, Jun 4, 2014.

1. deskelly

deskelly New Member

My installation consists of a laptop running dualboot (opensuse 13.1 and windows-7). I was using Skype on windows when a message indicating a memory problem came up on my screen. Without thinking I responded which is what the hacker wished me to do and whoosh vanished a large portion of data in windows. Being happier in Linux, I cleaned up somewhat in windows and continued in Skype under Linux.
    A few days later something hit the fan causing irregular boot problems until a complete standstill.
    It was then that I started with a LIVE CD containing GPARTED, TESTDISK, GRUB many other interesting pieces of software. I started with GPARTED but didn't get very far. I then experimented with TESTDISK and found a fantastic program. THANKS.
    After a few restarts I found almost all I required to setup the dualboot system again except
    1. When searching for my data I hang up on a directory and can only copy individual files. I wished to select the directory DOCUMENTS and not copy each individual file.
    2. I have found no means of copying the selected files to a memory stick or somewhere outside. I cannot do anything with the data as I have only a LIVE CD running on the laptop.
    3. I also have a larger dual boot system for the finishing touches.

Who can assist a FUDDY DUDDY pensioner?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  2. srijan

srijan New Member HowtoForge Supporter

Please use the script in tutorial

Just remove starting lines of installing the test disk, script is incorporated to distinguish the data according to its type