Procmail not delivering to mailboxes

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by crudolphy, Nov 18, 2005.

1. crudolphy

crudolphy New Member

I followed the ISP Server setup using Ubuntu Hoary Hedgehog. Everything was working well. However now it appears that Procmail is not delivering mail to user mailbox. I have checked the setup against the HowTo and I have followed exactly.

After sending test email from a Hotmail account the message I get in my mail.log is:

NOV 17 21:21:27 crud-03 postfix/smtpd [7576]: connect from bay14-f21.bay14.hotmail.com[64.4.49.21]

NOV 17 21:21:27 crud-03 postfix/smtpd[7576]: E64A21421F7: message-id=<[email protected]>

NOV 17 21:21:28 crud-03 procmail[7581]: suspicious rcfile "/var/www/web1/.procmailrc"

NOV 17 21:21:28 crud-03 postfix/local[7580]: E64A21421F7: to=<[email protected]>, orig_to=<[email protected]>, relay = local, delay = 1, status = sent (delivered to command: /usr/bin/procmail -f-)

NOV 17 21:21:28 crud-03 postfix/smtpd[7576]: disconnect from bay14-f21.bay14.hotmail.com[64.4.49.21]

When I check my mail with a mail client there is nothing in my mailbox. When I check the directory /var/www/web1/user/web1_chuck/Maildir/cur or new or tmp they are all empty.

The contents of the "suspicious" /var/www/web1/.procmailrc file are:

MAILDIR=$HOME/Maildir/
    DEFAULT=$MAILDIR

INCLUDERC=/var/www/web1/user/web1_chuck/.mailsize.rc
    INCLUDERC=/var/www/web1/user/web1_chuck/.quota.rc
    INCLUDERC=/var/www/web1/user/web1_chuck/.antivirus.rc
    INCLUDERC=/var/www/web1/user/web1_chuck/.local-rules.rc
    INCLUDERC=/var/www/web1/user/web1_chuck/.html-trap.rc
    INCLUDERC=/var/www/web1/user/web1_chuck/.spamassasin.rc
    ## INCLUDERC=/var/www/web1/user/web1_chuck/.autoresponder.rc

Don't know what is going on! Sure would appreciate some help as to where to look for answers on how to fix this problem.

Thanks in advance

Chuck Rudolphy

2. crudolphy

crudolphy New Member

Procmail not delivering to user mailbox

Well, I fixed my own problem. For whatever reason (which I don't remember) I had changed my directory permissions to world writeable. That causes procmail to bomb the mails. The key was the "suspicious" statement in the mail.log. I read the man page for procmail found the message description, checked the permissions, changed them, and now I get mail.

Chuck

3. st2xo

st2xo New Member

Chuck, thanks for posting the solution! helped me much - especially the hint to read the manpage :D

4. crudolphy

crudolphy New Member

Procmail

Appreciate the expression of thanks. I am doing a lot of learning here with the help of others in these forums, especially Till and Falko.

Chuck