ProFTPd on CentOS, many small problems

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by ProTrooper, Oct 7, 2005.

1. ProTrooper

ProTrooper New Member

After many hours I finally got a server up and running with only Apache and ProFTPd. Because I am using CentOS I had to install ProFTPd "manually." Now I am testing and I am finding a few problems. Please note, this is not for installing ISPConfig.

First, after installing there was no startup script in /etc/init.d, I had to run it from /usr/local/sbin/proftpd. I tried copying a script from Fedora and I guess the libraries are different because I recieve this error: "Starting proftpd: execvp: No such file or directory"

Also, with the test user I created, PAM authentication fails. I added the file /etc/pam.d/proftpd but it did nothing.

When I log in as my test user (to web root which is 770), I created a folder and uploaded a test php page. The script uploaded fine but had permissions 544. I tried to change permissions and was denied.

Finally, I was able to browse my entire ftp server. I am not quite sure how that happened, but I want to lock users into specific directories.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    James

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

On Fedora 4 you have to create the file /etc/pam.d/ftp with the following contents in it:

Code:
    #%PAM-1.0
    auth    required        pam_unix.so     nullok
    account required        pam_unix.so
    session required        pam_unix.so
    Maybe this also applies to CentOS?

You might have the following lines in /etc/proftpd.conf:
    Code:
    <Limit SITE_CHMOD>
     DenyAll
    </Limit>
    Comment them out!

Make sure you have the line
    Code:
    DefaultRoot ~
    in /etc/proftpd.conf.

And don't forget to restart proftpd after your changes! :)

3. ProTrooper

ProTrooper New Member

Great. Thanks for the help. I am making the changes now. Could you tell me what PAM does? I have read about it but I am still not clear on what it does.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff