Program for playing mp3 files?

Discussion in 'Desktop Operation' started by benny, Jun 5, 2005.

1. benny

benny New Member

I'm new to Linux, so please forgive me if this is a stupid question... :eek:
    I finally got my KDE desktop installed, so now I want to play my mp3 files. The problem is - I don't know which application to use... If there's something similar to WinAmp that would be great! :)

Benny

2. angrykeyboarder

angrykeyboarder New Member

If you long for the microscopic fake amplifier look, then your best bet is either XMMS or BMP (Beep Media Player) . The former is a GTK1 application and the latter is a GTK2 app. So while not technically KDE (Qt) applications they are still often used in KDE. I think there is even a KDE app that controls XMMS from the Kicker (Panel). Both will work witn any WinAMP 2 skin as well

Personally, my fave KDE app for playing MP3s is amaroK. Another choice that's almost as good is (and is very similar to amaroK is "JuK"

Now depending on what distro you have will determine if you will also need to hunt down the files needed to make these apps work with MP3 (otherwise, by default they playback just OGG, I believe).

Your distro likely comes with either one or both of the KDE apps I mentioned and possiby one or both of the others as well. If not, you can probably download it from an official repository for your distro.

Now depending on what distro you have will determine if you will also need to hunt down the files needed to make these apps work with MP3 (otherwise, by default they playback just OGG, I believe).

Non-commercail distros like Kubuntu, Fedora and Debian will require you do extra work to get the right libraries to play MP3s. They should have instructions on their sites as to how to do so.

If you've got a commercial distro like SuSE, Xandros, Mandriva (Mandrake) or Lycoris, then they usually come with those libraries on the CD/DVD and/or installed by default.

HTH.

Scott

Last edited: Jun 6, 2005
  3. peter

peter New Member

I think XMMS is a good choice as it resembles WinAMP a lot, but as Scott said before there are other alternatives that are worth trying.
    Isn't XMMS already installed on your desktop? In most distributions it's installed by default.

Peter