Pure-FTPD does not support TLS Session resumption

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by tijn, Oct 20, 2023.

Tags:
  1. tijn

tijn New Member

Hi all,
    Today i used the ISPconfig3 migration tool to migrate a ISPconfig3 server (Ubuntu 18.04) to a new ISPconfig3 server running Ubuntu 22.04.
    The migration went smooth and quick!

While testing the FTP-logins with Filezilla, i get the following warning:
    upload_2023-10-20_14-10-45.png

I can connect after ignoring the warning, and TLS is working (server log: [INFO] TLS: Enabled TLSv1.3 with TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384, 256 secret bits cipher). I cannot find any option to enable this.

How can i enable TLS-session resumption?

2. remkoh

remkoh Active Member

As far as I know this is a Filezilla bug and not a ftp server issue.
    And Googling the error only gives Filezilla related responces.
    Try a different version of Filezilla. The error seemingly pops up every now and then.

ahrasis and tijn like this.
  3. tijn

tijn New Member

Yes, this crossed my mind (also found some posts about DA with the same issue).
    However, i use the same Filezilla client for the old and new server: Old one -> no issue, New one -> issue.
    When it's an Filezilla issue, i would really like to know what caused it so i can tell my client :)

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

That's indeed a FileZilla-related issue that happens when you use a modern OS like Ubuntu 22.04 or Debian 12 on the server. Besides trying a different version you might also just use an other FTP client like WinSCP in FTP mode or use scp/sftp instead of plain FTP.

ahrasis, remkoh and tijn like this.
  5. @till is correct. I also discovered this problem yesterday. I reinstalled ISPConfig on a new Debian 12 server. I was setting up my domains and was very annoyed to be getting warning messages. At the time I just wanted to finish what I needed to finish so I ignored it.

Tonight, I looked further into it. I installed gFTP and chose the FTPS protocol from the quick launch. No errors reported.

Anyway, just thought I'd confirm this information for anyone with the same problem.

6. @till are you saying though, that in time this will solve by itself? Being related to the OS being so cutting edge and filezilla and pureftpd will get in line?

7. till

I don't know, but I guess it's likely that this will get fixed by either FileZilla or pure-ftpd.

I guess this can either be related to some new library versions used by pure-ftpd or its an issue between a specific FileZilla and pure-ftpd version.

ahrasis likes this.
  8. @till I'm not trying to "fix" this any longer. Not exactly anyway.
    I saw a post where you were pretty exhausted by this problem, telling the user to use the search.

I wan to go live in maybe January with my hosting site. I really really don't want to have any error messages popping up on users. It just feels unprofessional for a hosting company.

My server is running (Debian 12 Bookworm) ISPConfig 3.2.11p1
    It is already running the latest Pure-FTPd 1.0.50 released Nov 23, 2021
    Linux Mint package manager version of FileZilla 3.58.0
    Latest version of FileZilla downloaded directly from https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?show_all=1

All have this message...
    This server does not support TLS session resumption on the data connection.

I realize this is not a problem with ISPConfig. Not for you to fix.

What I've found on the internet is...
    Using another FTP server (ProFTPd) with FileZilla, will not produce this message.
    I've used another FTP client (gFTP) with PureFTPd and didn't get an error message.

You are the developer of ISPConfig and you let me use the software for free.
    I am the developer of a web hosting company wanting to charge customers to use my server.
    I understand that you say it's not broken on your part, because it's not. I get it.

So, what am I asking here, then? I'm not sure.
    PureFTPd hasn't updated in pretty much 2 years.
    FileZilla just updated a couple of weeks ago.

Is this problem less than two years old? If so, then FileZilla is to blame. I don't know how old this problem is. I could probably find out, but it doesn't really matter, because I don't expect either of them to fix this any time soon.

This forum must be filled with others who sell server space to customers and also have to deal with the popup message.
    My assumption is that a good percentage of ISPConfig users are web hosters to the public. How do you deal with it?

@till I found an old post telling how to uninstall PureFTPd and replace it with ProFTPd, but it's old and it was flawed anyway. Not completely integrated with ISPConfig. Is there any chance of a tutorial on how to switch FTP servers on the current version?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2023
  9. Plus this is also an option as to what is wrong. Anyway, I'm just frustrated by this, seemingly small problem. I think I will also go and join whatever forum is hosted by FileZilla and see if they offer any insight on this problem. If they do, I'll be sure to come back here and update.

10. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I am not sure if ISPConfig supports other than pure-ftpd-mysql, so I won't vouch for any switch, but instead of changing the server ftp software, I'd suggest using a webftp or other ftp client.

11. When I said that PureFTP had not been updated in two years, I got that info from their github page.
    https://github.com/jedisct1/pure-ftpd/releases/tag/1.0.50
    I dug in a little further on the website this time and found this.
    https://download.pureftpd.org/pub/pure-ftpd/releases/
    https://download.pureftpd.org/pub/pure-ftpd/releases/pure-ftpd-1.0.51.tar.gz released 14-Jun-2022 11:25
    @till Any chance that you would be pushing this in an update soon?
    I made a snapshot of my server just a few hours ago. I think I'm gonna give it a go.

12. Yes, but that's the problem. Imagine that you are paying a premium for a professional service and get an error message like your connection is not secure or not trusted. The webmaster says, "just use a different client". I don't want to say that paying customers. Hell, I'm the one building it, and I don't want to use a different client.

I'm going to install the newest version of PureFTPd. Wish me luck.

13. I don't think so. I don't know how to do it. I'm guessing that I could install on a bare bones server OS and get a working FTP server. But that's not what we have here. It is very integrated into the ISPConfig and I have no idea where to start.

I'm asking/begging for someone to guide me through this upgrade. I suspect others want this as much as I do anyway. I hope.

14. ahrasis

I could only image that you should hire professionals to help you for such a premium service you are offering. I already suggested a web ftp client to be used in which you can customize such software so it would always use the right and secure connection but then it is all up to you and your creative imagination. Good luck!

15. That's not exactly what I said. I was speaking generally, and that sounded a bit snarky, but maybe not.

What I said was...
    Maybe you've used FileZilla for the last 20 or 30 years. Maybe you really like it and have tweaked it out or filled it up with servers and such. Maybe you just don't want to install some other FTP client because the server your site is hosted on is broken. Maybe you don't want to use a web ftp.

I don't believe I'm wrong in thinking I'd like to solve the root problem if possible, instead of offering alternative software for the client to install because my site is broken.

Besides, I found the updated server software that claims to fix the problem. With that knowledge in mind, should I still suggest my client use different FTP client software?

16. ahrasis

Sorry, but I don't use FileZilla but I am using web ftp (elfinder) and I have no problem using it with default pure-ftpd-mysql. I used to have netftp as web ftp for my web server but now I am using elfinder instead.

Kinda like it after few years of using it and have contributed my code as ISPConfig tool for instaling it in an ISPConfig server. https://forum.howtoforge.com/thread...-update-tool-for-ispconfig.91151/#post-450956

I might add some extra features later.

Well, on the contrary, I heard / read people saying this a lot, so really, good luck.

17. till

This is perfectly fine as FTP is a matured protocol, and so are FTP servers, so unless major bugs or security issues are found, there are no updates needed. All other FTP clients except FileZilla work fine with pure-ftpd, so saying we should exchange to another FTP server and have thousands of USD in costs doing this just because one FTP client fails is a bit much. Many Linux tools that have been around for a long time do not get frequent updates as updates are not needed anymore. Which pure-ftpd version is installed on your server depends on the OS, the pure-ftpd packages are not from ISPConfig. So if you think that the OS you use does not deliver the latest pure-ftpd version, then contact the Debian or Ubuntu package maintainer that is responsible for this. And to close this up, you can use your favorite FTP client in SFTP/SCP mode to connect to your ISPConfig server by creating a SSH user for the website and connect to it.

Like @ahrasis mentioned, you can not just replace pure-ftpd with proftpd without writing a new FTP plugin and installer code. But if you want to sponsor such a development, then you are free to contact us.

ahrasis likes this.
  18. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Create bug report in Debian bug tracker for pure-ftpd-mysql bug:
    https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=pure-ftpd-mysql;dist=unstable
    Mention in report there is new version that promises to fix the bug. That should get it eventually fixed.

If you are in a hurry, it is possible to create debian package for pure-ftpd-mysql the same way Debian Project makes it, examine how to use build-depends and building debian packages. This way you can get identical package to the original debian package, except you use newer source version.

19. The "you" I referred to is both ISPConfig and @till
    I acknowledged that I am using free software. I'd like to mention though, that I am also a supporter of this product.
    I purchased the documentation on the first day I installed ISPConfig over a year ago, and very recently I purchased the billing module.
    Isn't this what a forum is for? I only asked the community for help. @till doesn't answer every question on the forum. Sometimes other users offer assistance.
    I clearly stated that I don't know how to fix it on an open forum.
    I found, possibly, the fix the problem, and shared my finding to the community.
    I only asked/begged the community for some guidance in my quest to install software on my server. I didn't expect ISPConfig to make any changes to their code. I know that your installer uses APT to install packages maintained by the OS. I asked "anyone" for help making a change to "my server software" and did not ask @till to change the code of ISPConfig installer.
    Although, I did mention one time about a tutorial (on your site, mind you) that explained how to replace pure-ftpd with proftpd. You actually quoted me in a message where I found the next version of the exact same software, expected to come out some day in the future provided by the original software developer, and then eventually by the OS package manager. Which means that all by itself, some day in the future, it WILL be updated, and this issue will be solved. That is, IF the latest version of the server software actually solves the issue.

Nevermind.

20. Thank you so much for this. I have often wondered how to "create a debian package" but I have also never looked into it. This evening, I was looking into downgrading the package, which I believe would bandage the problem, but I want to future proof solve the problem.

I will most certainly do this. Because as @till mentioned above, ISPConfig uses APT to install packages from the OS, this won't break the future updates from unattended-upgrades or even ispconfig_update.sh. Thank you @Taleman