pure-ftpd help?

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by Drolith, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Drolith

Drolith New Member

Ok I installed pure-ftpd, I created a user/user group for it...but whenever I try to connect to it using for example (ftp://[email protected]) I get
    "530 Authentication failed, sorry", and when I try to login as root I get "530 sorry, but I can't trust you" any clue what could be wrong? I'm a linux n00b so give me some details. ;)

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Did you get any errors in you syslog, messages or xferlog?

3. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Do you use real system users to connect to Pure-FTPD, or do you have "virtual" users in a MySQL database that you use to connect to Pure-FTPD?
    If you use real system users, did you give your user a password and a valid shell?

4. Drolith

Drolith New Member

ok cancel that...my Xinetd.conf was configured wrong. I get the users to login, when I go to login from browser using IE, or Firefox, ex. ftp://user@(myip), it creates the users folder (using the -j option ), but now it just sits there...doesnt show the "test" file I put in there...how do I get it to display files?

5. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

When you have a look at the file on the shell: which permissions does it have?
    Can you try and use a "real" FTP client like WS_FTP or SmartFTP instead of a browser?

6. Drolith

Drolith New Member

I can connect to it using smart FTP but it disconnects shortly after entering passive mode (not familiar with smartFTP)it does what my browser does...connects correctly with username/password then sits there for a while and then gives me this(after entering passive mode):
    " MLSD
    0 bytes transferred. (N/A/s) (0 ms)
    Timeout (40s).
    Active Help: http://www.smartftp.com/support/kb/index.php/74
    Client closed the connection.
    Automatic failover of data connection mode from "Passive Mode (PASV)" to "Active Mode (PORT)".
    "
    But I can connect using console commands from both (windows,linux). I just want browser access so my friends can access/view the contents of these accounts without software or needing to know how to use console.

also why wont my dir or ln command not work when connected through linux console...if I try them it sais "227 Entering Passive Mode (192.168.1.102.229.99)"...does that if I try any command it doesn't like.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2005