PureFTPD question

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by Tortanick, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Tortanick

Tortanick New Member

I read the guide for installing PureFTPD on debinan, http://www.howtoforge.com/pureftpd_mysql_virtual_hosting but I have a question, I want to compile from source myself useing

./configure --with-largefile --with-mysql --with-quotas
    --with-throttling --with-privsep --without-inetd --without-iplogging --without-shadow --with-tls

I'm assuming I can just compile at the point in the guide it says to install the packages for pureftpd, is this true or do I have to insert an aditional step(s)?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Yes, it should work like that. :)

3. Tortanick

Tortanick New Member

You were almost right, just had to use a diffrent command to start up the server

sudo /usr/local/sbin/pure-ftpd -l mysql:/etc/pure-ftpd/db/mysql.conf &

I have another question though, what User ID and Group ID would I have to set a virtual user to so they can't upload files or delete but they can download files uploaded by another user (me)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2006
  4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I'd do a chown on the upload directory so that only the owner can upload. The files in there should be readable by everyone so that your FTP users can download.

5. Tortanick

Tortanick New Member

With MySQL authentication you can't log on as a sytesm user, only a virtual user. All folders and files belong to FTPuser and FTPgroup. (FTPuser dosn't have a shell either)

However you can set the user ID number and group ID number for virtual users so I figured that I could use that, I just don't know what number to use.

[edit] Nevermind, I found it, 555

Last edited: Apr 22, 2006