Question about How to Setup VNC Server

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by hec1152, Sep 12, 2014.

1. hec1152

hec1152 New Member

Hi, First time poster. Not sure this is where I can get help wih question about the How To "Link to How To Install VNC Server On Ubuntu 14.04 | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials" by kishore last edited on 6/11/14. If not I would appreciate some direction to author. I've followed the guide but am having trouble making it work. Thx in advance. Harry

2. srijan

srijan New Member HowtoForge Supporter

At what point you are getting error? I have tested the setup and it is fully functional. Please elaborate your concern. I will be very happy to help you.

3. hec1152

hec1152 New Member

Thank you for responding. I've been hacking away and finally I got something to work. Was getting mostly connectons refused until I sorta started over and went thru your procedure a second time. Now I think it works on one machine. Will propagate to others once I've confirmed I know what I'm doing. Lingering question is about resolution of VCN client - no matter what I do I cannot get it above 1024x768. Even when I change vncservers.conf from

VNCSERVERS="1:hec 2:hec1152 3:hcooper"
    VNCSERVERARGS[1]="-geometry 1024x768"

to

VNCSERVERS="1:hec 2:hec1152 3:hcooper"
    VNCSERVERARGS[1]="-geometry 1920x1080"

I'm also having trouble with other users hec1152 and hcooper but I think that's because i dont have proper account set up on workstation. For now, I'm just trying to get one user to see larger display than 1024x768. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.

4. srijan

It means that your hardware doesn't support higher resolution than 1024x768.

For multiple user your entry must be like this:

Username will be different in your case.

5. hec1152

hec1152 New Member

Thank you again. That's odd. Here's situation - I have a Ubuntu workstation running at 2550x1600. Hardware clearly supports higher resolution. But, it's that workstation with installed VCN that won't go any higher than 1024x768. Also have Virtualbox running on that system with Ubuntu guest that seems to be running at higher resolution than 1024x768 when I VNC into it. I could understand if VBox were limiting that VNC there but can't understand what's happening with system running 2560x1600. What am I missing?

Unfortunately, while hacking around in this problem, I somehow messed up my installation such that Ubuntu wouldn't boot. I'm now learning all about dealing with recovery using everything from Testdisk to rebuilding grub. I suspect that SSD holding system partition may be the root of problem. Have verified that all files and filesystem are intact (I think). So now I'm trying to figure out how to bring system back up. This will delay me in working on the VNC issue. Hopefully I'll be back up today. If not could you recommend specific forum where I could exchange info with someone knowledgable in this sort of problem. All this is well beyond my capability but I'm trying to learn fast thanks to google and a lot of trial and error. Afraid that without sone advice I'll really screw things up and I have no backup.

Thanks for your advice and help. I really appreciate it!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  6. srijan

VNC server supports higher resolutions. You can check the exact errors in log of VNC.

You can repair your grub with any live-booting CD's/USB's and repair the grub

7. srijan

8. hec1152

hec1152 New Member

Thank you. I finally got my system back after having to rebuild it over the last week or so. Now I'm having to bring everything back to the way it was. This time the installation of VNC went fine thanks to your excellent instructions. I'll deal with the resolution issue later. Meanwhile, I'm having some difficulty with Samba. I notice you have a HOWTO on that which I will try before posting any questions about that over there. Thanks again for your attention and advice.

9. srijan

10. hec1152

hec1152 New Member

Thanks. I really appreciate the help. I have VNC working now (before I saw your suggestion about alternative). Do you think X2goServer is better alternative? Good enough to merit uninstalling VNC and installing it instead (or will they co-exist)?

11. srijan

You are welcome! :)

If you high speed internet at both end (i.e. server and client) then it is better.

I have now tested both at a time on same machine, but there is no dependency between VNC and X2GoServer, so logically they both should exist at the same time.