Question for a class

Discussion in 'Linux Beginners' started by Ashe23, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Ashe23

Ashe23 New Member

I am taking a Linux class and enjoying it. I was wanting to know more about the vi editor system. How is it used in the work place? Where is it the most useful?

2. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

by most people? it isn't, or with dread... ;)

put simply, it's not really user friendly, at least not to start with.... there's a lot of keys to remember to perform even the most basic functions, and you can get by with just those ( i do :)) but there are lots more keyboard shortcuts available that perform increasingly complicated functions. plus there's lots of packages you can add to it.
    it can be an extremely powerful editor, i know of one developer who's added to, and customized his vi so much it's completely unrecognizable from the standard vi. he uses a group of vi windows for everything instead of using an IDE. o_O
    you can have full code/text completion, syntax completion, highlighting etc.

where it's most useful depends entirely on how much you're willing to configure it to your needs, and how many keyboard shortcuts you're willing to learn/remember.

and even given how hard it can be to start with, i'd still rather use vi than emacs :p