Question on Static IP / Router

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by ezfilez, Nov 25, 2005.

1. ezfilez

ezfilez Member

I will be installing Fedora Core 4 i am hooked up to a router that does not have a static IP . When i do go through the perfect setup for Fedora Core 4 can i just add all the info from router so i can use the server as a static IP even though i will have to change the IP when it gets changed on the router but that only happens like once a moth ... and as the host name can i use like NO-IP for the host ... thank you

This is Info from my router

IP Address: 192.168.1.1
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    DHCP server: Enabled

WAN:
    (MAC Address: 00-04-5A-D4-97-BE)

IP Address: 68.230.133.122
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.254.0
    Default Gateway: 68.230.132.1
    DNS: 68.9.16.25
    DHCP Remaining Time: 15:53:26

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

For your FC4 server you have to use an internal IP address (e.g. 192.168.1.2) and forward all needed ports (e.g. 21, 22, 25, 80, 110, 143, 443, ...) from your router to your FC4 server.
    As host name you can use one from no-ip.
    You have to configure your router so that it updates the no-ip DNS record whenever your public IP address changes.

3. ezfilez

ezfilez Member

Ok thanks i kinda know what you mean let me know if this is right

My server ip will be 192.168.1.7 thats what DHCP picks it up at in the router then i will forward all the needed ports to that IP. Then for the Host name it will somethink like this myserver.name.noip.com The my server will be the one i make up when installing ? or do i use the full noip address as the host name .. thanks

4. ezfilez

ezfilez Member

also do i add the information from the router as the gateway and DNS setting or do i skip that step and just ad the host name ... thanks

5. ezfilez

ezfilez Member

I tryed to above setting and the server can not connect to the internet when i try the step to rpm -ivh http://ftp. ..... and so on ... it gives me an error ( unknown or unexpected error transfer failed ...

Thanks ...

6. falko

In principle this is correct, but you should give your server a static IP instead of getting one from a DHCP server. Imagine your forward your ports from your router to 192.168.1.7, and then your DHCP server gives your FC4 server another IP address...
    I'd take myserver as host name and name.noip.com as domain name.

You have to use your router's internal IP address (192.168.1.1) as gateway. You can take the DNS servers from your router or any other name server that you know of (e.g. the ones mentioned in the FC4 tutorial: http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_fedora_core_4_p2).

7. ezfilez

ezfilez Member

Thank you very much for the help ... do you know what file i have to edit to change the gateway ip ... i did use the wrong one

8. falko

Have a look into the directory /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts. I think it must be set in one of the files there. I don't have an FC4 running right now so I can't check...