questions from a newbie in a hurry...

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by ignasigarcia, Jun 22, 2006.

1. ignasigarcia

ignasigarcia New Member

Hi there!

We are moving our server to another data center after having connectivity problems with the current one. Our servers currently use ispman, but we are very impressed with ispconfig features. However, we haven't used it yet in a production server. We would definetely like to move from ispman to ispconfig, but we cannot make the wrong decission (there is no turning back). We are ready (and urgently need) to start the migration, but we have some questions that need answers, and I hope you guys can help...

1.- We will be using cyrus as imap-pop server. I know ispconfig dev version works with cyrus, and I have done some basic tests. Has anybody had any bad experience or problems with cyrus and ispconfig?

2.- We will be using, beside regular pop3 and imap access, squirrelmail for webmail access. I've read people having problems with [email protected] instead of [email protected] accounts. I've checked /etc/virtusertable and both entries are included. It seems confusing. What's the deal on this?

3.- It looks like ispconfig uses spamassassin and clamav but no amavisd. I have been using amavisd for virus and spam checks with clamav and spamassassin. Is ispconfig's approach better than using amavisd?

4.- clamav and spamassassin are included in ispconfig. The moment there is a new release of these programs, can we update them, or do we have to wait for a new release of ispconfig?

5.- An finally, is there a way to do simple email distribution lists, like emails sent to [email protected] that are distributed to several accounts in that domain? I've been browsing the menus and haven't found anything like that...

Thanks very much in advance

Ignacio

2. erk

erk New Member HowtoForge Supporter

I can't answer all of your questions but I will give the ones that I know something about a go.

Using amavisd-new with SA and ClamAV is fine but not easily configured on a per user basis. In ISPConfig each user can manage SPAM/Visus/Scan settings.

It is possible to update them manually when there is a new release. It is not automated but not all too difficult. I think Till posted an answer to that question in the forum but I cant seem to find it just now.
    You will find SA and ClamAV under /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/tools/

The simple thing to do in ISPC is to set up an account with the address [email protected] and set a forward for this account containing the recipients you need.
    Pure aliases without creating an account is not supported.

//Erk

3. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

If you have a user someuser and a web site www.example.com with the Co-Domain example.com, then ISPConfig configures the email addresses [email protected] and [email protected]. Normally you'd only use the latter, but there are cases where customers want to have email addresses of the first form.
    You can disable this by setting any Co-Domain/main domain of the web site to "External Mailserver". Then the respective email addresses will not be written to /etc/postfix/virtusertable.