quick question about website jailkit options.

Discussion in 'General' started by nhybgtvfr, Mar 9, 2021.

1. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

on the website options tab, for the jailkit settings, it says when empty it uses the settings from server config.
    but what happens if i add something in the site settings not in the default server config.

eg, if i add 'wp' is it then applied in addition to everything in the default server config,
    ie 'basicshell editors extendedshell netutils ssh sftp scp groups jk_lsh' and 'wp' all get applied, or does it override the server config and only the 'wp' section gets applied?

2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

It overrides the server setting, so will install only wp (and anything it includes).

3. nhybgtvfr

seems to me to be an unintuitive way to do it.
    it would seem to me the most obvious way would be to have a default set that gets applied, which are the server config settings,
    so that what are expected to be necessary settings for all jailkits are always applied, after all, they're the default settings for a reason, so i would assume they're all required to have an effective, usable and useful jailkit.
    Then use the site options jailkit settings to adjust the jailkit options for an individual site as required, eg include 'wp' or 'composer' to add those in addition to the default server jailkit, and maybe a negative option, eg '-sftp' to remove that particular section from the default jailkit config just for this site.

in fact, it may make even more sense to have the site's jailkit options available to the client, the default jailkit is applied when a jailkit ssh user is created and then additional jailkit sections can be made available to the end users to select as with the directive snippets, so you as admin can make selected sections, eg wp, composer, nodejs, etc available for the client to add to their jailkit themselves without needing admin intervention. maybe the shell user creation/settings screen would be a good place for this.

4. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

Yeah, feel free to log a feature request. The override is because you can't easily remove sections from the default set (your "-section" name could work for that). I've been thinking there should be a setting for whether the website list is in addition to it in place of the server list, which could also help.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  5. nhybgtvfr