Real System users

Discussion in 'General' started by exy123, Dec 12, 2005.

1. exy123

exy123 New Member

Hey

Question about how ispconfig works with email users and domains. I noticed users created through ispconfig cant use outlook to check thier mail , then i found the post where it was explained you have to have real system users.

Now my question is how to do you tie in the users made through ispconfig and the real system users so that they can check thier mail without login failed errors ?

And also if you have [email protected] and you have [email protected] how would the mail for them be seperated if you can only create one system user with the username john ?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Thats totally wrong. You can use any email program that is capable oof reading pop3 or imap accounts together with ISPCOnfig.

You must have system users, these users where creted with ISPCOnfig. Dont create them manually!

Login into ISPCOnfig and create an new email account. Never add System users manually.

Please dont double post:
    http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1640

To your core problem, you cant access your pop3 accounts?

Which userdata did you use? the username as normally the form web1_john. and the password is the password you entered as you created the useraccount in ISPConfig.

3. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

You can use every email client you like!

ISPConfig creates system users and uses prefixes for that task, i.e. if you create john for web1, then it would be web1_john, for web2 it would be web2_john and so on (of course, you can deactivate those prefeixes if you like) so the usernames are different. For each user you can create as many email aliases as you like, e.g. web1_johm does not only have the email address [email protected] (which nobody would use), but also [email protected], [email protected], etc.

The username in an email client like Outlook would then also be web1_john; if you use the webmail package from the ISPConfig web site, you'd use the email address (doesn't matter if it's [email protected], [email protected], ... as long as the email address belongs to that user) instead of the username for login.