RealPlayer?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by fvs, Apr 9, 2006.

1. fvs

fvs New Member

I have a problem trying to install RealPayer linux and I can't play my DVD Totem Movie player says error no plugin? I'm totally new in Fedora Core 5 and need some help.
    Thanks, Frank:eek:

2. sbovisjb1

sbovisjb1 Member HowtoForge Supporter

Did you check that Realplayer has dependincies problems with (its either Xine or Totem) and to fix that you are supposed to move either plugins to another directory. Thats what happens when two completley programs try to borrow plugins. (PS) use the mv command

3. fvs

fvs New Member

I don't know how? Also I get error message that say's;
    "You do not have decoder Installed to handle this file"
    How do I install decoder? Where do I get it? Thanks.:confused: :confused:

4. sbovisjb1

What file format were you trying to open?

5. fvs

fvs New Member

Trying to get RealPayer on the internet to play, On desktop I would like MPlayer to to my DVD video's. Also I Like QuickTime player. I must say I don't care about Totem, I comes on by default.

6. sbovisjb1

RealPlayer: Get rid of Heilix player (uninstall it)
    Quicktime: Use the crossover office application.
    MPlayer: http://home.gagme.com/greg/linux/fc5-tips.php
    or use this

Install MPlayer Media Player
    At some point you're probably going to want to play a QuickTime, AVI or ASF file so you'll want the MPlayer media player. Fortunately with the FreshRpms repositories it's also very easy to download and install. Once again there are conflicts between the Livna and FreshRpms repositories and you'll have to disable one of them.

# yum -y --disablerepo=livna install mplayer mplayer-skins mplayer-fonts
    # yum -y install mplayerplug-in

To prevent potential problems of updates in the Livna repository from messing up the mplayer packages add the following line highligted in bold to the file /etc/yum.repos.d/livna.repo :

gpgcheck=1
    gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-livna
    exclude=mplayer*

[livna-debuginfo]

This command line will download the whole kit and kaboodle. that if you want to play content from a command line that you use the gmplayer version which will include a skin-able control panel. This will install the plug-in to play a wide variety of media within your browser window. Restart your web browser after that whole mess is done installing and you'll also have a plug-in for Mozilla so you can play embedded content. While you're at it be sure to configure mplayer to use the ALSA sound system rather than the default. It just works better. Edit the file ~/.mplayer/config and add the following line:

ao=alsa

And finally you'll probably also want some additional codecs to play all that proprietary video that seems to have infected the Internet. Go to the MPlayer Download page and download the essential codes package. You'll need to install those files in /usr/local/lib/win32. Here are the steps. Remember the exact file names may change at some point.

# gtar xjvf essential-20050412.tar.bz2
    # mkdir /usr/local/lib/win32
    # mv essential-20050412/* /usr/local/lib/win32

7. sbovisjb1

PS if you dont have the right decoder, that means that you dont have the right file format. Please tell me what extension it is then i can tell you how to get it to work. :)

8. fvs

fvs New Member

OK,I've mplayer working on some sites, I can see movies trailers, But when I go to a tutorial video site (vtc.com) I can't see video's that play only with Quicktime player, Is there a way to see them? fvs:confused:

9. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff