Recommended OS?

Discussion in 'General' started by nenad, Apr 27, 2006.

?

Best OS for ISPConfig server?

1. Mandrake/Mandriva

2.8%
  2. FedoraCore

22.2%
  3. CentOS

8.3%
  4. Ubuntu

19.4%
  5. Debian

52.8%
  6. RedHat

2.8%
  7. SuSE

5.6%
  8. Other

2.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. nenad

nenad Member

Is there any recommendations for OS which should be used for LAMP server controlled by ISPConfig?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Have a look at the list of supported distributions on http://www.ispconfig.org/
    It doesn't matter which one you select. It's up to which distro you like most.
    My personal favourite is Debian. :)

3. nenad

nenad Member

Yes, poll is based on your list of suported distros.
    But I was wondering what experiences other useres might have with various distros.
    And... I bought one more PC, so I am in dilemma which ditro to put on it...?

I allready tested ISPConfig with FedoraCore3, FedoraCore4 testing is in progress
    Maybie I should put Debian on this one :)

4. Martin1982

Martin1982 New Member

I'm using ISPConfig without any troubles on a Debian installation myself, although I'm confident that every other supported distro would have the same outcome, if not it sure has to be a bug ;)
    Just pick the distro that you are most familliar with, so whenever something goes wrong you can always get into the core and fix it.

5. nenad

nenad Member

Thank you for your comments.
    I do hope that even more people with vote and explain their choices.
    Thank you.

6. oliver.blaha

oliver.blaha New Member

If you need bleeding edge features, choose Ubuntu. If not, your choice should be Debian.

7. Hans

Hans Moderator Moderator

Debian

I am teaching about Linux now since the beginning of 2004 and i have tried several systems like Suse, Fedora, Ubuntu and finally Debian.

I think free distros like Suse, Fedora or Ubuntu are nice, but they are also a little bit the playgarden of the commercial versions or to experimental and for that reason propably unstable.

For this reason they are not the best option for the most stable environment.

The most important thing is that you have a server with an OS, you can rely on and not to have the newest version of a piece of software.

Debian Sarge offers you that stability with a great package system.
    So I go for Debian!

Hans

Last edited: Apr 29, 2006
  8. nenad

nenad Member

@hans

Thank you very much for you detailed explanation.

I do hope that other members will also write few sentences about their favourite distro.

9. MvincM

MvincM New Member

HI,

For sure Debian. It is my distro.

It is clear and pure distro without any extras (if you don't want them).

You can install what you want but fresh instalation could be very very pure - best for server.

Debian is like:
    Deny All
    Allow ... ... ... ...

Not like
    Allow All
    Deny ... ... ... ...

Best regards,
    MvincM

10. nenad

nenad Member

What should I say..?
    I am former RedHat user..
    Than Mandrake user..
    Now I am Fedora user..

But last nite I installed Debian Sarge onto my Server No. 2 (with ISPConfig)

I think I am gonna try it... :)

11. MeneM

MeneM New Member

I've always used Debian for servers. Recently started using Ubuntu for desktops.

That way I don't have to make to continues switch in my head (Do I need to use apt-get or yum on this machine and where did this server keep such and so config option??)

Plus, ofcourse, no distro beats Debian's stable stability ;-)

12. nenad

nenad Member

After one month of heavy testing (I have some excellent server testing tools) I am thrilled with stabillity of Debian!!!

Using those tools I was able to knock-out servers based on some other distros (I will not mention which one), particularry there were problems with mysql, apache, memory management (swap file) etc.

Unbeliveable, but true, Debian passed efortlessly all those tests.
    Although there are better distros for desktop, for server I think that Debian is real winner.

Although it might be little bit hard to switch from one distro to another, becuase each distro has its own specificity, I think that it is benefiially learning and using Debian for server purposes :)

13. brent.stephens

brent.stephens New Member

I've been happy with Ubuntu's stability so far. I went with 5.10 stripped down to exactly what is needed and not much else. (No X, etc) Of course my stability probably has much more to do with my self-rolled kernel than the distro.

No matter what distro you choose, you'll want to do much security-related configuring on your own. For example, I personally have SSH password authentication turned off.

14. FeraTechInc

FeraTechInc Member HowtoForge Supporter

Ubuntu is actually Debian based and works very well. In fact most packages will work equally well with Debian and Ubuntu. However, I would be careful.

It is the OS of choice for my company.