Record DNS

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by brownie, Mar 6, 2006.

1. brownie

brownie New Member

I installed ISPconfig on suse 10 (64 bit) with perfect setup.
    The server is online with public IP.
    I see my webpage but if I try ping ns1.mydomain.xxx I get "unknown host"
    I have 1 IP for the machine, 1 IP for NS1 and 1 IP for NS2. They are all public IP.
    I added these IP in network card and also in ISPconfig under Management -> Server -> Settings -> tab Server IP list
    In tab DNS -> Default NS1 I added my IP for ns1 (and for ns2)
    Under DNS Manager I created the RECORD A (hostname ns1.wadnet.org - IP address my public IP for DNS)
    I created the record A for ns1 and ns2 but I cannot ping ns1 neither ns2
    where is my error? :confused:
    I need to ping ns1.mydomain.xxx and ns2.mydomain.xxx because I need to host several domain on this server, I try to register 1 domain but I failed because of this error of ns1 and ns2
    Thanks

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Can you post the real domain name here?
    I guess your ISPConfig server is not authoritative for the domain, therefore you must create the DNS records for the domain on another DNS server.

3. brownie

brownie New Member

the domain is www.wadnet.org
    where I muste create the DNS record?
    I have an other server with plesk as control panel and I always created the dns record in the same server not in an other. I haven't a dns server ...

Last edited: Mar 6, 2006
  4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Ok, the authoritative name servers for wadnet.org are ns2.wadnet.org and wadnet.org so you must create the DNS records there. I guess one of these is running ISPconfig?

Don't enter an IP address there! You must use an FQDN there.

5. brownie

brownie New Member

Corrected!

Now i ping ns1.wadnet.org and ns2.wadnet.org but I still am not able to register the domain.it. I get this error:
    "Unable to verify the A record associated to the NS server NS1.WADNET.ORG" and I get the same error at dnsreport : "No NS A records at nameservers"

In DNS MANAGER for the domain wadnet.org I created A record hostname ns1.wadnet.org - IP my public IP for dns (also for ns2.wadnet.org)

So I think that the required a records must be create in server setting but I don't know where .....

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If you change something in DNS, it may take up to 4´8 hours until your changes where propagated to all DNS servers.

7. brownie

brownie New Member

OK ... I created the A records for the domain wadnet.org in dns manager 2/3 days ago, yesterday I change only the FQDN in Server -> settings -> tab dns ... anyway, I'll wait hopeful :)

8. brownie

brownie New Member

RESOLVED!! I find my error: I wrote in A record for the domain wadnet.org "ns1.wadnet.org" and this is wrong. I corrected the A record only ns1 and now it is all OK :)