Relative links

Discussion in 'Developers' Forum' started by fatbear, Feb 7, 2016.

1. fatbear

fatbear Member HowtoForge Supporter

The links created under /var/www are absolute links. I think it would be better if these were absolute. That is change:

/var/www/domain.com -> /var/www/clients/clientN/webNN
    /var/www/clients/clientN/domain.com -> /var/www/clients/clientN/webNN
    to:
    /var/www/domain.com -> clients/clientN/webNN
    /var/www/clients/clientN/domain.com -> webNN

One advantage: when archiving /var/www to some other location (e.g., backup.server.com:/mirror/source.host.com/var/www), then on the backup server the links will still work. This is also useful when on the backup server that some static analysis of content is performed. Using absolute links breaks many similar workflows. I generally consider using relative links instead of absolute links to be a best practice.

I've also considered starting contributions to ISPConfig development. If you would accept such a change, I will take the time to get started in helping to develop ISPConfig.

SPECS: 3.0.5.4p8, CentOS 7.2, 3.10.0-327.4.5.el7.x86_64

abdel17 likes this.
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There is a setting under system > server config for that.

fatbear likes this.
  3. fatbear

fatbear Member HowtoForge Supporter

Thanks, Till. I guess I need to spend more time reviewing all of the configuration settings. A nice feature would be that if one moused over a label that a tooltip would show what the setting means and possibly the consequences of choices the user might make. This would make ISPConfig more self-documenting. By any chance, is there a checkbox already to enable tooltips? :) Thanks again.