Relay access denied 554 Postfix..

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Playfrog4u, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Playfrog4u

Playfrog4u New Member

What do you suggest I do? I need this email server working for clients and I want it to use ispconfig..

2. Nap

Nap Member

Here is a link to a Digital Ocean Tutorial on setting up Postfix with Dovecot on Debian Wheezy

Were you able to send a test email to [email protected]. Were you able to get a response?

Are your firewall settings in ISPConfig appropriate?

Another thing, do you have your DNS settings done? In my case, I had to setup my DNS records in the DNS Manager my ISP provides. If you look at other posts I've posted, you'll find some recent ones about SPF records and reverse DNS pointer.

At the end of the "The Perfect Server - Ubuntu 14.04 (Apache2, PHP, MySQL, PureFTPD, BIND, Dovecot, ISPConfig 3)" guide (bottom of the last page.), a script was provided that tests whether you have all the necessary packages installed. You might have a look at it. Its for Ubuntu, so you might have to tweak the script in regards to folders etc to make it work on Debian.
    I've found that script to be very useful!! Especially when I changed my server from MySQL to MariaDB a short while ago.

I'm out of ideas here, other than going through the "Perfect" guide again and making sure everything is correct. It's quite easy to miss a step, and it's happened to me. But the "Perfect" guides always worked for me in the end.

3. Playfrog4u

Playfrog4u New Member

This is the email
    Code:
    This is the mail system at host server1.xxx.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
    be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
    delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<[email protected]>: host verifier.port25.com[96.244.219.19]
       said: 550 5.1.1 no such local recipient: <[email protected]>
       in "RCPT TO:<[email protected]>
       ORCPT=rfc822;[email protected]" (in reply to RCPT TO
       command)
    Reporting-MTA: dns; server1.xxx.com
    X-Postfix-Queue-ID: 108E5A0159F
    X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822; [email protected]
    Arrival-Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 17:14:45 -0600 (CST)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; [email protected]
    Original-Recipient: rfc822;[email protected]
    Action: failed
    Remote-MTA: dns; verifier.port25.com
    Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 5.1.1 no such local recipient:
       <[email protected]> in "RCPT
       TO:<[email protected]>
       ORCPT=rfc822;[email protected]"

4. Nap

Nap Member

In spite of the error at the end, it seems that the mail server at least attempted to send the mail.
    I tested mine today and got the same response as you did. However, all my other mail is being delivered, so I'm not really concerned.
    I did read some info about thie problem at ServerFault, but I'm not convinced yet that its a good idea.

5. Playfrog4u

Playfrog4u New Member

I'm not sure.. Do you think it's my ISP.. I can send mail from within my network..

6. Nap

Nap Member

If you haven't already done so, you need to setup some DNS records on the DNS Name server you are using. I posted about this here.
    These settings are primarily necessary so your mail isn't flagged as SPAM. You should be able to send mail without them.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  7. Nap

Nap Member

I replied to your email. Since I don't have an IP6 PTR record (yet) for my SPF settigns, it might end up in your SPAM folder if it was delivered via an IP6 address.