Remote Desktop - Accessing XRDP from Windows

Discussion in 'Desktop Operation' started by blinky, Oct 31, 2012.

1. blinky

blinky Member

I'm one of those people who prefer the Gnome classic desktop over Unity. As a consequence, I have installed:

Code:
    sudo spt-get install gnome-session-fallback

so I can access my Ubuntu 12.04 Precise using classic gnome. This evening I installed a remote desktop server using:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install xrdp

and I can now access my Ubuntu 12.04 Precise across the LAN with my Windows 7 machine. I have two questions about Remote Desktop which I thought I might find the answer for in here:

First, is there any way to have XRDP server the gnome-classic desktop instead of Unity? I can easily access the Precise manchine now from my Windows 7 machine using Windows Remote Desktop Connection and logging into the LANIP 192.168.0.197 using my username & password.

Secondly, is it possible to login to the Ubuntu machine across the WAN from a machine not on the LAN? Does this involve specific ports to be opened and any special configuration?

Thanking you in advance.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

AFAIK, you need to open and forward port 5900 on your router.

3. blinky

blinky Member

Thank you, I shall give that a whirl.

Oh, and incidently, I was able to configure XRDP to server gnome-classic to remote desktop clients.

Code:
    sudo gedit .xsession

and in the file:

Code:
    gnome-session --session=gnome-fallback

The .xsession file needs to sit in the home directory.

4. blinky

blinky Member

Opening and forwarding port 5900 on the router allowed me to connect across the LAN. But how would one connect from a remote site across the WAN?

Did I miss something in the XRDP setup?

5. concept21

concept21 Active Member

XRDP is not equal to VNC.

There are many kinds of remote desktop, and they use different ports for connection. :D

6. JeffMichael

JeffMichael New Member

I think so. It's really not a problem to find such a solution nowadays.

7. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator