Remote Softaculous FTPes Issues

Discussion in 'General' started by maileh, Sep 8, 2014.

1. maileh

maileh Member

Hi team
    The only issue is that i cannot install script that require data dir apart from web folder which in turn the installer cannot create that directory.

Note
    I i use the same ftp login, i can install other script that do not require data dir like wordpress etc etc ... but not moodle etc etc because moodle require data dir, therefore cannot create .

I use that same login through filezilla, i can land on my ftp root wich is /var/www/clients/clientx/weby cd to web and upload or create directory within it or even , cd to private and create new directory inside it etc etc ....

Anyone can help me with this ....:confused:

2. maileh

maileh Member

this is part of the error from pure-ftpd debug enable

Sep 8 22:31:48 www pure-ftpd: (user@xxxxxxxxxx) [ERROR] Can't create dir ectory: Permission denied
    Sep 8 22:31:48 www pure-ftpd: (user@xxxxxxxx) [DEBUG] Command [site] [ CHMOD 755 /pivate]

i understand it is permission denied but not quite sure why ?. Is it with the directory provided or else.

Thnkas.

3. srijan

srijan New Member HowtoForge Supporter

Which distribution(OS) you are using?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Maybe softacolous tries to recreate the existing private directory or tries to change its permissions which is neither required nor permitted and this fails as it exists already. You should contact the softacolous support and ask them how to circumvent the error in their software.

5. maileh

maileh Member

I am using Centos 6.4 64bit on the Remote Softaculous Server.
    And Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on my web server.

As mention, script that does not require dada directory, is install normally by the installer, but only those which require additional data directory isthe problem.

6. till

Please contact the softacolous support. Theyr software is non free and encoded, so we can not fix bugs in their software.

7. maileh

maileh Member

Till
    Noted and i will update what i will up to .... thanks for your time .....:)

8. maileh

maileh Member

Till

Yes that's the issue , on the softaculous setup the ftp clients has to create a folder on the ftp root for the client. ie /var/www/clients/clienty/webx, but like you said it is not allowed.

Can't it be setup on ISPCONFIG client to change ftp root folder to another other that the /var/www/clients/clienty/webx, may be for instance /var/www/clients/clienty/webx/private, in this folder i think ftp client can create new directory in it, co's if i access usinf filezilla, it lands on /var/www/clients/clienty/webx/ and i manually cd to private and can create folders in it or change permission as well ... anyway

maybe you will have a better ider what to do or else is this is possible with ispconfig or not ???

9. till

Thats something that softacolous has to fix in their software. ISPConfig has a directory for such files, it is named "private" and any ftp client incl. softacolous can create folders there on its own and when softacolous writes a software for ispconfig then they have to instruct their software to use the correct directory to store data in ispconfig. We will not change the way ispconfig works just because a third party plugin for ispconfig has a bug and useses a wrong data directory.

First: When you manually use a ftP client, then you most likely ipload files to your website, so you go to the web directory and not the private directory. Only if you want to upload non accessible data, then you upload it to private. as neither ispconfig nor your ftp client can know which of the files that you upload the next time are for web or for private, the web root is / so that you as a user can decide where to upload a file. If you want to change the upload directory when you login then you can do that as well, see options tab of the ftp user, there you can change it to web or private or any ftp path you want.

10. maileh

maileh Member

Hi Till

This is a line from softaculous team below... is this is correct or i edit something that result with this ????

Generally the FTP users has access to its Home directory. So I have not come across such issue before.

I really hope that this should work !!!

11. till

The softacoulus guy you talked with seems to be not familar with a secure setup that has protected folders and ispconfig in general.

What this guy talks about is that normal web folders are writable by ftp users and thats the case in ispconfig. But the ftp root is not the public web root as ispconfig allows the user to store data securely out of the web root.

Like I told you above, its a issue with softacolous as they try to recreate a existing protected directory instead of checking if it exists and skip the recreation step and use the existing directory.

12. maileh

maileh Member

Thanks Till for the usefull information .

i will get back to them before i will let you know.

once again thanks for the info:)