repeating email

Discussion in 'General' started by G7pro, Feb 9, 2006.

1. G7pro

G7pro New Member

We just started using ISPConfig to host our own sites. ever since switching over we have had several instances where sending an email from one of our accounts results in the email being sent to the recipient hundreds of times. I looked in the mail log and it says that commincation with the receiving server times out before the data is sent and that it might be sent again. Even though it was obviously sent. Has anybody else experienced this and what can I do to stop it? Thanks in advance.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Please post the exact error log messgages.

Did you experience the problems with several external addresses or only with one external mailserver?

3. G7pro

G7pro New Member

This has happened while sending to two different addresses. The complete error code that was in the log is as follows:

Feb 16 00:09:06 linux postfix/smtp[489]: 7895021729: to=<email address>, relay=mail.domain.com[ip], delay=42336, status=deferred (conversation with mail.domain.com[ip] timed out while sending end of data -- message may be sent more than once)

Sorry I didn;t offer this earlier but got caught up in other emergencies. Thanks for the help!

4. till

Is mail.domain.com your server?

5. G7pro

G7pro New Member

no, that is the server we are sending to.

6. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Do you have the same behaviour if you send to another server using the same sender address?

7. G7pro

G7pro New Member

As far as I can tell so far, it has only happened when sending to two different addresses.

With this last address, it happened once, then we where able to send emails with no problem to them for about a week or so, then it happened again.

8. falko

I think the problem is on the remote server. You should telll them about the problem.

9. G7pro

G7pro New Member

Just got a little more clarification from my side of things. We have never been able to send an email to this second address without continually being sent. And in talking to the people who are getting this email over and over again, they have never had this problem with anyone else. Only on emails coming from us.

10. falko

Do you have a firewall on your server that might cause this problem? Please post the output of
    Code:
    iptables -L

11. G7pro

G7pro New Member

OK I ran that line of code and got the following response.

FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.13-15-default/modules.dep: No such file or directory
    iptables v1.3.3: can't initialize iptables table 'filter': iptables who?(do you need to insmod?)
    perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

12. till

Is this a "real" server or a vserver?

13. G7pro

G7pro New Member

It is a "real" server.

14. falko

Ok, the firewall does not seem to be the problem...