Resizing partitions

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by 22hosting, Apr 21, 2006.

1. 22hosting

22hosting New Member

I don't suppose anyone knows a decent way of resizing partitions on a linux disk (in a live linux environment) to free up some space to be partitioned as another filesystem type (i.e. reiserfs). As an example of what i want to do :

Current filesystem :

/dev/hdc1 /boot 10%
    /dev/hdc3 / 90%
    swap

Essentially I want free some block space from /dev/hdc3 (i.e. resize it) and then set it up as it's own block device and format it as reiserfs for use as a seperate parition. Anyone got any ideas?

I have looked at fdisk (which will completely mess up all data)
    and have recently discovered ext2resize although haven't used it yet. What tools/options are there out there?

i know you can use 'dd' to create blocks on a filesystem, but is it possible to mount this block and format it?
    ________
    Live sex

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  2. mukta

mukta New Member

resizing

You can try qtparted wich have a nice interface from kde or gnome

3. Smalfish

Smalfish New Member

resize partitions

I know the MiniTool Partition Wizard 5.2 edition can do resize partition well under linux,because as a Partition Manager Server, MiniTool Partition Wizard provides powerful and professional functions to manage partition. And can support Windows and Linux file system: support FAT12/FAT16/FAT32, NTFS and Linux Ext2, Ext3 system. so maybe you may have a try