Resolved - SSL Certificate Pointing to subdomain.

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by luisdyablo619, Mar 18, 2019.

1. luisdyablo619

luisdyablo619 New Member

Hi I have looked through everything and with no luck.

I have multiple sites set up with SSL and Let's Encrypt for all of them.
    I had to erase almost all of them and recreate them, I created two, www.example1.com and a subdomain site for it www.sub.example1.com both have HTTPS enabled with no issues, now when I create www.example2.com and enable SSL and LE on it, and head over to https://www.example2.com it prompts a "Connection is not private" error. When I click on advance it says the server could not find the certificate for www.example2.com as the SSL certificate comes from www.sub.example1.com

I have looked through the Apache directives and not able to see anything incorrect there.
    I have recreated the client. the site, and even created the Certs manually from inside ISPConfig3 GUI. And the same error every time.

Can anyone assist?
    What do I need to look at

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

1) Ensure that all your domains and subdomains have dns a-records that point to the server.
    2) Don't mix * and IP in the IPv4 field on the server. Either use * for all sites or the IP address for all sites.
    3) Ensure that you enabled SSL and Let's encrypt checkbox for all websites and check back a few minutes later to see if the checkboxes were disabled again. If that's the case, then Let's encrypt did not issue an SSL cert for this domain.

3. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

4. luisdyablo619

luisdyablo619 New Member

Till, I had 2 records with * instead of the IP, and I created the DNS previously but when I went into review the settings it was missing. I recreated it and everything is working now thanks.

@Taleman I had not seen that. I have bookmarked it for any future instances. Thank you as well!