Resolving domains to my new ISPC3 enabled Kimsufi server

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by schwim, Mar 24, 2018.

1. schwim

schwim Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi there everyone!
    I would like to create some domains on my Kimsufi dedi server but am having a bit of a problem figuring out how to do so.

My server is publicly accessible via ns3019860 . ip-5-39-78 . eu or it's IP address. I would like to create some sites on the server, each with it's own domain name. I can't seem to find any mention of Kimsufi nameservers that I would enter into the domains settings to get it to resolve to my server. I'm assuming that means I need to manage my own nameservers.

Herein lies the rub. After hours of searching, I've compiled a mix of years old and irrelevant how-tos and posts but still don't understand how to get a domain name to point to this particular server.

Could someone give me a helping hand on how I might be able to accomplish this?

Thanks for your time!

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

What have you done so far?
    • Have you installed ISPConfig? Which version?
    • Have you created a website?
    • can you access that website when editing the hosts file on your workstation where you use the browser to access that website? Edit the file so it has a line for the IP-number and the website domainname. See for example https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_(file)
    • do you have two name servers where you can add records?
    • have you purchased the domain name you want to use for that website?

3. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

When you buy a domain, you can manage it to point to your new server if you have created at least two nameservers that are pointing to it on your own or via services like dyn.com and noip.com.

You can also point your domain to free dns service like freedns.afraid.org or zonedit.com or cloudflare.com and then from there you can point it back to your server.

4. schwim

Hi there Taleman and thanks very much for your help!

• It is installed. Help link in the script shows ISPConfig Version: 3.1.11
    • I've not created the website yet since I didn't want dns records to be created on the server until I know what they need to be.
    • I'm not sure how editing my host file fits in but I did paste the publicly accessible URL in the initial post. Due to spam protections, I needed to break the link. The server default page can be found at: ns3019860 . ip-5-39-78 . eu
    • I don't have any nameservers. That's the main part of my question.
    • I've not purchased the domain name yet since I didn't know what to set as the nameservers.
    Thanks again for taking the time to give me a hand!

5. schwim

Hi there ahrasis and thanks so much for giving me a hand,

Years ago, I had a GoDaddy server that I set up nameservers for and the nameservers were set up on that same server, it's been so long ago that I can't remember how it was handled now but involved changing some of the domain details through the registrar.

Is that a possibility or will I need to use another service like those you listed?

Thanks for your help!

6. ahrasis

7. schwim

Forgive my ignorance in the matter, but I already have http : // ns3019860 . ip-5-39-78 . eu (sorry, still not allowed to post links) pointing to my server's IP. Can I just use that instead of another service or do those services provide something else other than a resolvable domain like the one I linked?

8. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  9. ahrasis

It's possible though I never try it, but you'll normally need at least two nameservers for any of your domain.

Note that nameservers can also be the one that are assigned by default by your domain sellers and some of them have their own dns manager where you can use to point your domain to your server ip address via an A record.

Most services that I mentioned earlier also sell domains and have dns manager which you can use.

So I think that should solve your problem for now?

10. schwim

Hi there again!

In an effort to narrow the scope of my problem, I've done some things.

1) I created a site via ISPCOnfig on the server (chloestudley.com) , then created a DNS zone via ISPConfig for the same domain.
    2) In GoDaddy, I created two hostnames(ns1.chloestudley.com and ns2.chloestudley.com) and pointed them to the server's IP: 5.39.78.58

I'm waiting for records to catch up to the changes but does it seem like this might be all I need to effect this change or is there something else I should do?

Thanks for your time!

11. ahrasis

chloestudley.com should be pointed to the same ip too. You can use your created nameservers for it. You can also add an A record for it too either by using @ or *.