Reverse DNS Lookup Keeps Failing

Discussion in 'General' started by giganet, Sep 9, 2007.

1. giganet

giganet New Member

I have been using DNSStuff's DNS Report tool and no matter what I try I continue to receive FAIL on 'Reverse DNS Lookup'.
    No matter what I have tried the result is always 'no reverse DNS (PTR) entries'.

I look in at 'pri.152.169.72.in-addr.arpa' and it seems right?

Code:
    $TTL        86400
    @               IN      SOA     www.giganetwireless.com. hostmaster.giganetwireless.com. (
                                    2007090803       ; serial, todays date + todays serial #
                                    28800   ; Refresh
                                    7200    ; Retry
                                    604800  ; Expire
                                    86400)  ; Minimum TTL
                            NS      www.giganetwireless.com.
                            NS      www.giganetwireless.com.
    211       PTR     giganetwireless.com.
    211       PTR     www.giganetwireless.com.
    211       PTR     webmail.giganetwireless.com.
    210       PTR     login.giganetwireless.com.
    211       PTR     mail.giganetwireless.com.
    211       PTR     mail.giganetwireless.com.giganetwireless.com.
    211       PTR     darlenes-homes.com.
    211       PTR     www.darlenes-homes.com.
    211       PTR     highcountryhomesofanza.com.
    211       PTR     www.highcountryhomesofanza.com.
    211       PTR     mail.highcountryhomesofanza.com.

When running 'dig @72.169.152.211 any giganetwireless.com' an MX wouldn't show up until I added the record '211 PTR mail.giganetwireless.com.giganetwireless.com.'

I use DNSExit service and have added the MX, A for email...

Can someone help shed a little light on my errors?

Thank you

Regards

2. edge

edge Active Member Moderator

You will need to contact your ISP and ask if they can set the reverse DNS for you.

3. giganet

giganet New Member

Thanks for the reply....

I was afraid of that:(
    Presently using HughesNet Commercial VSAT terminals for backbone, asking HughesNet to provide customer service is a bit of a joke.

I'm waiting for Verizon to complete my Data lines being installed this month, I would opt to ask them to run RNDS records for me and just set my WISP clients email clients to utilize the server IP rather than the mail server name until that time.

Kinda sucks because Yahoo and I'm sure all others place those incoming emails into the 'Bulk' folder rather than the 'Inbox'.

Crap I'll be glad to get away from HughesNet, my WISP clients can't use VoIP efficiently nor can online traders depend on the final buy-price due to the 7-14 seconds of latency.

Thank you for your help

Regards

4. edge

edge Active Member Moderator

Hotmail is also like this.

Now these days its sometimes better to end up in the bulk folder than the real inbox as it's got less spam :p

I've got revers DNS setup on all my servers (and all other things needed to get email working like SPF records), but this was not enough for my domains to get out of the bulk folders of Yahoo and Hotmail.

For Hotmail I needed to get my domains on what Microsoft calls SenderID.
    For Yahoo, I needed to contact the Yahoo admins who added my domains to a "white" list.

5. giganet

giganet New Member

Thanks Edge...

Really- how would I achieve this on my server locally?

I'm getting ready to place another server online so I can run my own name servers.

I found that SPF and SIDF are basically the same animal, I had a hell of time getting any MS servers to accept email from my server.
    I utilized one templated SPF site to the next never having success as having had created a satisfactory SPF record.
    Then I stumbled upon the MS SIDF template site, one run through and the format was accepted instantly and my clients could then send mail to and from MS email servers.
    The MS webmaster stated that our IP is not on any blacklist, so generally most all domains are acceptable once a properly formatted SPF | SIDF record is present.

I did a little experimenting with the 'Subject' line when sending email to a Yahoo email account- I found that depending on the Subject content dictated your odds of being placed in the 'Bulk' box.

In example- if you used a Subject of: Hello...

It is 100% you will wind up in the Bulk

Otherwise- if a Subject of: Is this client authorized in the central control appliance?

Is placed in the Inbox.

I'm sure I can be entirely wrong here, but this is what I encountered while testing last night.

Thank you for you help, the email is functioning.
    I just use the IP rather than the mail server name until my new data lines are installed by Verizon this week to replace 3 VSAT's trying to deliver 6MB's and failing miserably bad:mad:

Have a killer day :D

Regards

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

A reverse record for your IP address can only be setup by your provider that assigned the IP to you. You can not setup this record on your own server. Call your provider and tell them to setup the record for you.

7. giganet

giganet New Member

Thank you Till...

OK I see how the RDNS goes now...
    I am getting new data lines installed and have already asked that a Reverse DNS Record be created on Verizon's end.

Thanks again Till.

Regards