Reverse DNS

Discussion in 'General' started by disasm, Jan 12, 2006.

1. disasm

disasm New Member

Not necessarily specific to ISPConfig, but I have ISPConfig with the reverse dns entries I want. If I change my resolv.conf to us my ispconfig server for my dns, and do a hostx x.x.x.x then it replies correctly for the reverse dns. However, when my name servers don't include my ispconfig server it says name not found. Now, I think this means that it's querying another server to find out the reverse dns of that IP (my guess would be my ISP's DNS server), which doesn't have me added, so if I just tell my ISP to add my reverse DNS issue, will that resolve the problem?

One more thing to add. Is there any tools that will tell you what dns server is responding when you do a reverse dns lookup? Basically my ISP is saying that because I run my own dns, my server has the problem, when I asked them to add my reverse domain lookup.

Sam

Last edited: Jan 12, 2006
  2. heftigrat

heftigrat New Member

Yes.

Who is your ISP? To be perfectly blunt, whichever tech support rep you spoke with has no idea what he/she is talking about. You ALWAYS want reverse DNS (PTR) records to reside on the name servers of the company who owns the IP block. Do a "whois" lookup to find out who is authoritative at DNSStuff.com. Another option is to have them do a classless delegation of the range they route to you, but they still have to add that on their end. This is all assuming that you have a static public IP range being routed to you. ;) Hope this helps.

3. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Yes:
    Code:
    dig -x <IP address>
    If you post the output, we might be able to help you further.

4. heftigrat

heftigrat New Member

A "whois <ip_address>" would be extremely helpful as well. :)