Reverse PTR

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by angel1st, Mar 5, 2010.

1. angel1st

angel1st New Member

I have noticed that ISPConfig 3.0.1.6 supports PTR records. Does it mean that it is possible to create reverse PTR record into DNS zone, so you don't have to rely on your ISP? If "Yes" that params I should fill in for PTR records?

2. orfi

orfi New Member

ptr

if you are authoritative on your IP-s only

3. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

That's right. In most cases your ISP has to take care of your PTR records.

4. BorderAmigos

BorderAmigos New Member

By ISP do you mean the domain registrar?

5. BorderAmigos

BorderAmigos New Member

So in my current case the place I rent the rackspace from for my server. In their control panel I can set reverse dns name. I have that set to the name of my server: grumpy.system6hosting.com. But I'm still getting some emails rejected from some places (like craigslist) saying my dns does not match my rdns. Not sure what to do.

6. edge

edge Active Member Moderator

Yes. You will need to ask the person/company who you rent the rackspace from.
    If you have more IP's they will need to set them also.

7. BorderAmigos

BorderAmigos New Member

Yes what? I have 10 IP addresses. 2 are set to ns1.system6hosting.com and ns2.system6hosting.com. The other 8 have grumpy.system6hosting.com. What do I ask them to do? Set a PTR record to what? Sorry if I'm easily confused.

EDIT: It appears to be the place (craigslist.org) sending the rdns/dns errors doesn't accept emails from any domain with the word 'host' in it. So my system6hosting.com domain is getting rejected and sending the misleading error. Other domains on my same server go thru without problems. PITA.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010