RFC - [Submitted Draft] Running Fedora 20 Entirely from RAM

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by gintonbo, Jul 29, 2014.

1. gintonbo

gintonbo New Member

Greetz,

Recently I posted up a Howto, Hybrid RAID 1 (Mirror) of RAM drive & SATA HDD Using LVM with LUKS [and systemd unit file] detailing one solution for installing/running Fedora Linux 20 from RAM, and am interested in feedback (clarification, references, etc).

Arch Linux Forum's Post, Running Arch Entirely in RAM!!?? gave me the initial idea for configuring such a system. As to the *why*, or benefit of such system, save for geek points, two immediate applications come to mind:

First - Netbook, where the benefit of running a system from RAM may offset SSD writes (may be moot with newer SSD); or alternatively, being able to completely spin down the harddrive (ie - longer battery life).

Second - Virtual Systems, where a system install may be under 1GB, for use in either data transfer (SaMBa/CIFS share) or renderfarms. Having worked with a 10-gigabit Ethernet network setup, SATA 2 drives quickly identified itself as a bottleneck. Even with SATA 3 (6 Gbit/s - 600 MB/s), large data transfer rates would remain bottlenecked at the HD. (SATA revision 3.2 not presently being fiscally feasable).

Linux Unified Key Setup (LUKS) has been quickly gaining acceptance in distros, and in the 21st Century, encryption has become the norm, rather than the exception (NSA anyone?). Arch Linux Wiki, again has a great guide on LUKS and LVM.

Lacking though on LVM documentation, has been RAMdisk(s). Though /dev/ram0 can be found in RHEL 7 Logical Volume Manager Administration, properly creating them (sudo modprobe brd rd_nr=1 rd_size-1048576 max_part=0) took some source diving.

Systemd, save for configuring a Unit file, and enabling/starting a service, I'm still learning. No solution would be complete however, without also setting up the system to handle the intricacies.

So, that being said, please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014