RHEL 4 Howto

Discussion in 'Suggest HOWTO' started by g8rbait, Nov 26, 2005.

1. g8rbait

g8rbait New Member

I know that FC4 and RHEL 4 are very similar, but the setup for creating a mail/web server is a little different between the two. Is there a HOWTO for creating the same type of setup with RHEL 4 as there is for FC4? If not, has someone considered creating one?

I have followed the FC4 HOWTO and it works great, but my company purchased RHEL and I need to set up our email/web server using that OS.

Thanks,

g8rbait

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

If you give me the money to buy RHEL, I can write such a tutorial...:D
    I don't think the differences are very big between FC4 and RHEL.

3. g8rbait

g8rbait New Member

I'd love to be able to send you the money for it! Unfortunately, I don't have it personally and I think the company would be a little upset if I purchased a copy for someone outside the company. :p

I know that the differences are very minor between the two, but my first major obstical came while trying to install apt. Apparently the FC4 path to Apt that is in the FC4 Perfect Setup will not work with RHEL. I tried searching the RH paths on the ayo.freshrpms site and none of them contained Apt. I guess I could try and install things the "hard" way, but I've only been playing with Linux for about a month now and am not totally comfortable with it yet.

Anyway, I'll keep playing with it and see if I can't figure something out. Thanks for the site and all the help that I have found here.

g8rbait

4. falko

You can use yum instead of apt. When the tutorial says
    Code:
    apt-get install <package>
    then you simply run

Code:
    yum install <package>
    You don't have to install anything to use yum. It's on the system by default.

5. g8rbait

g8rbait New Member

[root@server1 ~]# yum install fetchmail wget bzip2 unzip zip nmap openssl lynx fileutils ncftp
    bash: yum: command not found

I don't know if I installed something incorrectly or not (I followed the same package recommendations for FC4), but it appears that yum isn't a valid command on RHEL 4.

Looks like I might just have to use FC4 for my email/web server until I can get this figured out. :p

g8rbait

6. g8rbait

g8rbait New Member

7. falko

I thought RHEL is also using yum by default (as Fedora does), but obviously it is not...:(

8. g8rbait

g8rbait New Member

I have found several websites that describe similar instances of people wanting to use yum as the default installer but as of yet, I haven't been able to get it installed correctly. I'm still working on it though and may get it figured out. :rolleyes:

g8rbait

9. zayek

zayek New Member

yum is for fedora core if you use red hat es or as you have to use up2date.
    For example:

up2date -u package

10. Bailx

Bailx New Member

centos is probably close enough... although from my experience with white box in the past it might have enough differences and mirror download issues to be problematic.

i wonder what red hat would think of me letting you "borrow" my RHEL v4 entitlement for the sake of a tutorial.... since it would be a temporary thing.

we'd have to hurry though because my license expires in about 3 days i think :)

which is why i'm.... in the market for a free OS again ;)

11. falko

That's not enough time to test such a setup and write a tutorial about it... :(

12. Bailx

Bailx New Member

well... actually.. if you installed and got your updates before my subscription ended... which is like 2 days now :) then you could still use RHEL... you just wouldn't be able to get any updates at that point....still, i suppose that might pose a problem.

13. Bailx

Bailx New Member

i'm actually going to stick with RHEL I think.... so perhaps we could work something out