root can't remove clients directory

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by JESUSSAVES, Sep 16, 2014.

1. JESUSSAVES

JESUSSAVES New Member

Hi,

Debian Wheezy ISPCongif 3.0.5.3.

Was having a space problem when installing new site but df says there's plenty of space.

Because www has a lot of activity with big files I thought that removing unused space might help.

Created new directory but when I did mv of www/* the clients directory had a bunch of permission errors scrolling by on my screen.

Everything moved but clients. Couldn't figure out a way to delete clients from www either. It was giving permission errors again.

Restored a tar backup of just www to a new directory and was able to move that (extraction and restore does use -p option) whole thing with clients to another new directory.

Fortunately I was able to restore directly to the /var/www folder (got same permission errors) and everything is working but space problem is not fixed unless I can delete www directory, which I can't do because I can't figure out a way to remove clients directory fron it.

I don't understand why root can't remove clients directory.

Could someone please explain what's going on here and how to solve permission problem root can't remove clients directory from www.

Thanks for your help.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

you have to remove the immutable attribute first from web root. e.g.:

chattr -i /var/www/clients/client5/web3

3. JESUSSAVES

JESUSSAVES New Member

thank you for that Till.

I'm wondering, could you tell me how to avoid all activity on the server so I don't get file-in-use errors when I try to move the www directory?

Would I use telinit 1? Would that prevent file-in-use errors?