RoundCube Sends but will not receive.

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by happz, Feb 18, 2010.

1. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

What's the output of
    Code:
    dig srv1.example.com
    ?

2. happz

happz Member

Uhm!

Okay I will not use the real server name but this should be clear. Let me first say I have two servers. srv1.abc.com and srv2.abc.com

Server1.com is working great. Server2.com is the one in question here but I tell you this because when i did what you asked.....dig srv1.example.com it gave me a strange result.

Let's just say srv1.abc.com (working fine) and srv2.abc.com (roundcube not working)

So when i did dig srv2.abc.com results were:

Code:
    ; <<>> DiG 9.3.6-P1-RedHat-9.3.6-4.P1.el5_4.2 <<>> srv2.abc.com
    ;; global options:  printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 18108
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;srv2.abc.com.                   IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    abc.com.                 10800   IN      SOA     srv1.abc.com. i.happz.live.com. 2010012601 28800 7200 604800 86400

;; Query time: 72 msec
    ;; SERVER: 205.152.132.23#53(205.152.132.23)
    ;; WHEN: Tue Mar  2 19:15:57 2010
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 88

i.happz.live.com is my email address. I have an email of [email protected] but not sure why it's showing here. maybe i have used it on srv1.abc.com for forwarding but let me know what you think. Now srv1.abc.com is located in a different area. It's all on DSL.

happz

3. falko

Ok, that seems to be the problem - your MX record is pointing to srv2.abc.com, but there's no A record for srv2.abc.com. Please create one.

4. happz

happz Member

Okay..I do have a few questions though.

On which server are you asking I create the A record? srv1 and srv2 are identical but where I may be going wrong is in the DNS settings.

Let me tell you what I do and then you tell me what I am doing right/wrong:
    I purchased a techy name domain..say, abc.com and then add A records to such as
    SRV1-points to my dsl router
    SRV2-points to my other dsl router

Next, I create a centos server with ispconfig2. Then I go to the DNS tab and create a "Master" dns which is abc.com and then I click "record" tab and add, srv1 with ip of my dsl router. I do the same for srv2.

Last, each domain I add to the server I check "dns" and then move to the DNS tab and change the domain to my public IP of the router.

What do you think? Plus, which server do you want me to add an A record to..based on what i just told you?

happz

5. falko

You must create the A record on the authoritative nameservers for abc.com. You can find them out by running
    Code:
    dig ns abc.com

6. happz

happz Member

Results

Okay, results:
    dig ns abc.com (returned nothing)

So I went to my SRV1 ISPConfig2 server and clicked the DNS Manager and edited my “New Master” to look like this:
    SOA- abc.com
    IP=70.xxx.xxx.100
    Then on the Records Tab in DNS Manager for the Master I added
    A Record=
    [SRV1] with IP=70.xxx.xxx.100) and
    A Record=
    [SRV2] with (IP=70.xxx.xxx.200)

Then repeated the same but in reverse, by going to my SRV2 ISPConfig2 server, DNS Manager, New Master, SOA=acb.com, A Record=srv2(IP-70.xxx.xxx.200, A Record=SRV1(IP-70.xxx.xxx.100)

Now, when I dig ns abc.com

Code:
    [root@srv2 ~]# dig ns tx0.us

; <<>> DiG 9.3.6-P1-RedHat-9.3.6-4.P1.el5_4.2 <<>> ns abc.com
    ;; global options:  printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 24865
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;abc.com.                                IN      NS

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    abc.com.                 83614   IN      NS      srv2.abc.com.
    abc.com.                 83614   IN      NS      srv1.abc.com.

;; Query time: 34 msec
    ;; SERVER: 205.xxx.xxx.xxx#53(205.xxx.xxx.xxx)
    ;; WHEN: Thu Mar  4 18:59:12 2010
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 62
    /CODE]

Results are that I still cannot receive emails via roundcube mail. 

Thanks,
    happz

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  7. falko

8. happz

happz Member

No..I didn't use a glue record

Falko,

I basically shut down a working server and built this one exactly how I built teh working server that didn't have any of these issues.

I have built at least 15 servers based completely on your how to build a perfect server and they all worked. Now, i will say that this is the first time to use this version of ISPConfig. 2.2.35.

Anyway, I decided that I like pain so I rebuilt the entire server last night..and the issue is still present on this new build. Like I said, emails do move across...i installed an smf forum, created an account and then click forgot password and it comes across. I send out messages as admin of the smf site and they come across. I create accounts and they all work so I just don't know.

happz

9. falko

If you host the abc.com records on abc.com nameservers, then you need glue records.

10. happz

happz Member

I trust that I can get this done with your help

Falko,

Just to make sure before I go on.

On godaddy i have 123.com that is just used as the tech site to add this:

123.com
    A Record= srv0 IP xxx.xxx.xxx.100 (4 physical server @ home)
    A Record= srv1 IP xxx.xxx.xxx.200 (4 physical server @ work)
    A Record= srv2 IP xxx.xxx.xxx.100 (4 physical server in the future @ home)
    A Record= srv3 IP xxx.xxx.xxx.200 (4 physical server in the future @ work)

then I build centos= during install when asked:
    [www]= answer [srv0]
    [tld]= answer [123.com]

then this home server now= srv0.123.com
    then I repeat at work= srv1.123.com

Now, only talking about home at this point I go here:
    1. go to https://xxx.xxx.xxx.100:81
    2. change password :)
    3. go to DNS Manager and add Master= 123.com with IP=Public xxx.xxx.xxx.50
    4. click Records while still in DNS Manager for 123.com and add A Record=srv0 with ip public-xxx.xxx.xxx.50
    4. next I add my client(s), hostplan and so on..
    5. Then create a site on server= srv0.123.com
    [create site]= greatsite.com, add users, database, so on then check the box for DNS=yes. Move to DNS manager and under Domain (SOA):
    greatsite.com=IP xxx.xxx.xxx.50
    Then click Record and give IP=xxx.xxx.xxx.50 to [www]
    6. go to filezilla and use either my private xxx.xxx.xxx.100 or the public IP-xxx.xxx.xxx.50 and get there..add my site files.
    7. hit the site and all works including all aspects of email.

Then I go to work and repeat all exactly the same but use srv1 with xxx.xxx.xxx.200 and repeat all...and it always worked.

Now, I am sure that there is nothing wrong with any updates or version but that I just need to add a glue record but I am just saying that what I discribed was how I always have done it and it just worked. :confused:

So, (and sorry to step you through it all but maybe it will serve as a good
    thing for someone) but where do i add the "glue" record...on Godaddy under 123.com somewhere or on the ISPConfig server and which server..sr0 or srv1 or both....and one last question sir...if I don't turn on srv1 do I still need a glue record :)

happz

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  11. falko

12. happz

happz Member

Update!!!

I could not ever get emails to go to roundcube or any of the other plugin emails systems so I wiped out centos and now have ubuntu but problem still exist. However, now I can give you an exact error I get when sending an email to my web1 users [email protected] and here it is:

-Technical details of permanent failure:
    Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 554 554 5.7.1 <[email protected]>: Relay access denied (state 14).-

Any idea on this? relay access denied??? I can send emails from roundcube. Not sure what is going on....

happz

13. falko

Please make sure that the MX record for abc.com points to the correct server. you can check that by running
    Code:
    dig mx abc.com

14. happz

happz Member

Results

I've used this exact setup I am using now many times throughout the years so I am not sure why it is not working but I do want to say that i've found a different way to configure my server with domains purchased through godaddy.

I made a technical domain- 123.com and add A records to it= srv1.123.com and srv2.123.com

Then build my ISPConfig server like this: and during the installation I make hostname= srv1 and make full in the /etc/hosts=srv1.123.com and on srv2 i made the same like srv2 and /etc/hosts=srv2.123.com

Now, ISPConfig install on the last stage of the installation you are presented with the question www and I chose= srv1 and for the question xyz.tld I chose 123.com so when I am complete I have an ISPConfig server like this: srv1.123.com and the other server is srv2.123.com!

So I do the first setps: change password, Create Master DNS=123.com(with static dsl IP) Then under DNS I click Records and add the A Record=srv1 with static IP of dsl.

Then I build my first site=abc.com and click dns and dns mx which creates an entry under the DNS tab. I go to the new DNS entry and change the abc.com from the 192.x.x.x to my static IP and the same for the record www=static IP. For the MX is always has srv1.123.com and worked before.....

Please review what I am doing and tell me why this is what is causing this issue because in the past, it would work.

Now, when I dig the mx record the results are:

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;abc.com. IN MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    abc.com. 86400 IN MX 10 srv1.123.com.
    l
    ;; Query time: 408 msec
    ;; SERVER: 192.168.1.254#53(192.168.1.1)
    ;; WHEN: Sat Apr 17 15:42:12 2010
    ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 78

Thanks for your help!

happz

15. Diane Rosolen

Diane Rosolen New Member

I do not get an error message...the recipients just do not receive my emails...
    I tested it myself with some of my other email addresses (gmail) and I dont even get the e-mails.

16. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Login to RoundCube, then send an email from within RoundCube to the same address that you used for the RoundCube login. Then wait 1 minute and refresh the mailbox, does your test email arrived within RoundCube?

17. Diane Rosolen

Diane Rosolen New Member

yes it does Till.

18. till

Ok, so the internal mail system is working. Please post the output of:

netstat -tap | grep smtp

and

iptables -L

and check at intodns.com that the dns setup of your domain is fine and that it has a MX record that points to the server hostname (or another domain or subdomain that points to the server IP with an A-Record).

19. Diane Rosolen

Diane Rosolen New Member

I apologize but, I have no idea what any of that means :-(

20. till

Please run the two commands that I posted above on the shell of your server and post the result here in the forum.