router or no router???

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by pjm2211, Dec 1, 2005.

1. pjm2211

pjm2211 New Member

....is it recommended to use a router between the ispconfig server and the internet connection? currently, I have a router/firewall inbetween, but it's kind of a pain when adding a new website. All i have it doing is an ip forward from the outside ip to the inside. Just wanted to know what the pros feel is the best solution. thanks for the advice in advance.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

ISPConfig is intended for "real" servers in a data center, i.e. for servers with a public IP address that are directly connected to the internet. But if your server is in a local network then you have no choice, you need a router.

3. pjm2211

pjm2211 New Member

my server is in a datacenter and I do have pulbic ip addresses. so my question now is, if I remove my router, reset my servers ip addresses to the outside ip's i have,..........all I would have to do after that is reset the ip address for my website that I'm running in ispconfig from the inside addess it's currently on, to the outside address that it needs to be, correct?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes. Change the IP under Management > Server > settings and then for each website. If you used the DNS in ISPConfig, go to the DNS Manager and correct the IP addresses there too.