Running 2 nameservers on One machine or 2

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by anton, May 31, 2006.

1. anton

anton New Member

Hi Falko,

I read your post about ns1.hostmu.com etc and have done as you said.

I have created a domain and custom nameservers at the registrar.

The ns are working fine. I would like to know how to either run the ns's on the one ispconfig machine so each time I create accounts they will both be authorative, or how to create the second ispconfig machine as seond ns only - and if you can explain briefly how i do that. Also would I have to create the entries for domains I want to register on each ispconfig server, and how would I avoid the mail www etc requests getting mixed up.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

regards
    Anton

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You'd only have one BIND installation on the server (because you cannot make two applications share the same port), which will be the master and where you create all your DNS records. You don't have to transfer the records to the secondary DNS because the secondary DNS is the same system.
    All you have to do then is point your NS records (e.g. ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com) to the same IP address, and when you register a domain, you create the DNS records on that system first and then you specify ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com as the authoritative name servers for the new domain.

Just set up a second ISPConfig server and let ns2.example.com point to that server. Then you create the DNS records on the first ISPConfig server as master records, and on the second ISPConfig server you just create a slave zone and specify the IP address of the master server. Then the master records will automatically be transferred to the second ISPConfig system, and you have identical records on both system, and if the first ISPConfig server goes down, the second can serve the DNS records.

3. anton

anton New Member

Hi Falko,

Thanks for the speedy reply.

I'm a little confused. I have 2 ips. I intended to use the one for ns1.domain.com and main domain name for shared hosting and ip2 for ns2.domain.com for second nameserver. Server 1 is called inv.domain.com and server2 is called ns2.domain.com

I see that it does work if I use the same ip for both ns's but some tlds dont allow that - ie co.za

If I just setup machine 2 as ns2.domain.com and create records for ns2.domain.com can I still have one machine update the other ? if yes how ? or will I have to just create zone files without setting up mx www etc

Also...I created the ns at the registrar, will ipconfig be happy with that as master domain during setup or should I use the master domain I used on server1 ?

rgds
    Anton.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Just install ISPConfig on the second machine and create the same zones as on the first machine, but this time as slave zones! Then the records will be transferred automatically from the master to the slave.

That's no problem.