Running Nginx

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by olimortimer, Apr 30, 2014.

1. olimortimer

olimortimer Member

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Are you aware on the differences between nginx and apache in general. e.g. that nginx does not support .htaccess files, so all websits that use a .htaccess file will fail after you switched to nginx, until you wrote new rewrite rules manually. Thats not ispconfig specific.

The guide you posted the link for might work for a server that hosts a single website, you can not switch a ispconfig apache server to nginx like that as nginx uses a completely different configuration and a different ph setup which would have to be replaced for each website on the server.

If you want to try out nginx, then better start with a new server and install it with nginx as described in the nginx perfect server guides here at howtoforge.

3. olimortimer

olimortimer Member

Thanks till. I'm aware of the differences between nginx and apache when it comes to .htaccess etc, just not how it's run on the server.

Sounds like there isn't an easy way to upgrade. A fresh install wasn't something I was planning, so maybe I'll give it a miss for now.